Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with parts for a custom 6 strings BG!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adisu, Jul 20, 2005.

1. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Hello all!!!!

Next week I'm going to a custom guitar shop to order myself a custom 6 strings BG.
    I read a lot about all the issues of pickups,woods and bolt on or neck trough but still i think i don't have enough knowledge to really know whats better and how to get a certain sound.

I saw there are many people here who are kind of experts in all this guitar parts issue.

I play mostly funk, jazz and ethnic music.
    I would like the guitar to sound something like Yamaha's TRB.(i know i can't get the exact TRB sound)

can anyone please help me and recommend me: what parts should i tell the guy to use???

oh and another small question:
    I saw some 6 strings BG have EQ on them but in the 6 strings BG pictures of basses the shop built i haven't seen the EQ on the guitars, is it really necessary or it's just a privilege on those expensive BG???

Thanks in advance.
    your answers are highly appreciated.

Adisu

2. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    bump
    somebody??????????????? :bawl:

3. Well, hopefully the builder will be able to direct you toward the sound you are looking for. As for the EQ, I wouldn't say that it's necessary or a privelege, it is up to the individual player whether they prefer active or passive electronics.

A good place to start might be with trying to match the woods you are getting to those on the TRB.

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Why not just get a used TRB?

5. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    I live in israel , they don't even import the TRB to israel (only special personal order).
    To find a used TRB around here would be like winning the lottery.

Life could be so simple if i was only living in the states. :bawl:

;) ;)

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Ah, well.. Shipping wouldn't be too bad if you bought it used on Ebay. USPS 5 day air to the UK is like 100$

7. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    yes,but think of the shipping plus taxes (lots of taxes).
    Not to mention that only few will send BG worldwide.

Thanks for trying to help but i thought of everything already.
    I even thought of traveling to the states ,buy a BG and come back to israel but then again it's not worth it because of the price of the ticket.

I guess I'll stick with the custom guitar shop for now (or maybe i'll wait till someone i know travel to the states).

Salute. http://www.[malware url removed].com/smilies/party/party0005.gif
    Adisu