1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with pick up wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gary G, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Gary G

Gary G

Oct 21, 2012
    Maine
    20171203_191200. Can someone shed some insight on how I should wire this? I believe it's a Dimarzio . It came off a mid 70s SD Curlee that i use to own. I'm planning on using it on a frankenbass im building. I remember liking the sound of it. It was wired to a switch but i don't remember how it was wired.
    Gary G

2. The existing wiring indicates DiMarzio's color code. Wire it as it is now, with green and bare to ground, black and white soldered together, and red as the hot.

3. Gary G

Gary G

Oct 21, 2012
    Maine
    I remember there being a switch, and I think I took it out and wired the black and white together. Not sure why? What purpose did the switch serve? I think it decreased the volume so I bypassed It? Long time ago.
    Gary G

4. The switch was likely either series/single coil, or north coil/series/south coil. The black and white wires are soldered together, which indicates series wiring, so a switch would likely shunt the series link to ground and/or hot to get coil splitting options. This is consistent with your observation of decreased volume, since a single coil will be quieter than the two coils in series.

5. Gary G

Gary G

Oct 21, 2012
    Maine

6. Gary G

Gary G

Oct 21, 2012
    Maine
    Ok thanks. I think I'll skip the switch to simplify things.
    Gary G

7. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I really like these wired to a switch to take advantage of some very distinct tones. The 2 way switch for series/parallel or a 3 way on-on-on for series/split/parallel.