1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help With Picking Another Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 99Z3, Mar 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. i am playing in a blues band.. i am trying to decide on another bass for use with the band. So i am asking about some input from others on the board. There are some rules you must abide or don't post..

1) No Fender basses.. i am sorry, but just don't like them.. If you don't like that Don't Post
    2) No attacks about my not liking Fender.. if you can't be positive. DON'T POST
    3) When you make your suggestion, please include why your making that post.. in other words.. what were the positive aspects for your suggestion.
    4) i might consider a 5'r, but it has been a while since the last one.. my small hands are not tolerating the wide necks not near as well anymore.. but if you know a great choice.. i would like to read about it.
    5) If you don't have any positive input, Don't Post.. If you disagree with someone's suggestion.. do it in a positive way..

Sartori and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Wow, lots of rules.....

So what kind of tone are you looking for?

What's your budget?

Are you opposed to any Fender "style" basses at all (such as Lakland, Sadowsky, G&L, etc.) or just the ones with that exact name Fender on the head. (That was not a dig at all, rather a genuine attempt to narrow down some good choices for you. Like what you like. Hate what you hate. It matters not to me.)

3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What kind of "blues"?
    What type of tone are you looking for ?
    What's your budget ?

4. A-Ro

A-Ro

Mar 22, 2016
    Southwest Missouri
    You said "decide on another bass", so what bass do you currently have so we don't suggest what you already have.

5. Two Fingers: i have looked at the Sadowskys.. but i wouldn't want a "jazz" body.. read down some more in this response please. Yes.. it is kind of "rule-ly" isn't it.. but i had to do that.. as you well know of that.. no dig sir! But i will also inject that i like smaller body sized basses.. the Sadowskys that i thought about were the RV size body.. Or maybe like an older EBMM Sterling.. i don't like single pup basses.. a 2H might work.. but

Dark Horse

Mainly Bonamassa, Mule, Bluesbreakers, ZZ Hill, that sort of stuff
    As for buget.. well i would say.. not more than maybe 1K. As for tone.. well that can be really subjective.. but not the tone of my current bass..

A-Ro: My current bass is a Spector USA Forte 4 in Candy Blue all maple.
    i have owned quite a few basses in past.. Univox, Fender, Tobias, Warrior, Gibson (Les Pauls that i shouldn't have gotten rid of), Dingwall and Spector.. along with some others i can't think of right now..

i guess back to what Dark Horse is saying.. something a bit more open.. not edgy, or growly.. maybe along the lines of how Barts sound.. wide open to a point, but not bright..

6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Non Fender, good for blues, in your price range, available in 4 or 5 string versions .....should be able to find used in the $600-800 range ...killer basses

IMG_6679.JPG IMG_6680.JPG IMG_6681.JPG IMG_6682.JPG IMG_6683.JPG

hsech, pudge, Pyrat and 10 others like this.
  7. PeterH

PeterH

Dec 31, 2015
    NY
    I've heard that the old 70s Vintage Guild basses are really good all around, punchy tone with a lot of low end and in your price range.

Thumb n Fingers, Wisebass and 99Z3 like this.
  8. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

image. image. I recommend a Reverend Thunder gun. Priced at $999 it features 5 piece set neck construction, dual action truss Rod, korina body and neck wood, reverse P style pickup in the neck position and Music Man style humbucker in the neck position.
    They also use hipshot ultralight tuners and a locking saddle bridge with string thru the body option.
    Great basses and they look cool too.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  9. i have actually thought about these several times, sad thing is the lack of a really good selection around here where i am at. You have to drive hundreds of miles to get to a decent place that might have options..

Dark Horse likes this.
  10. Ok..i could stretch my budget a tad.. what about a used Pedulla?

Wisebass likes this.
  11. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi 99Z3!!!
    don't be sorry, nobody likes them: Either you love them or you hate them!!:D
    (I love them but I love my non Fenders too!!!)

...with you on that one! But please don't take it all too serious.:cool:

well let's say it's funny? Looking at your Avatar that should be positiv enough;)

here it is: My choice for you!!!
    stuart.

I don't disagree with any other post (I liked them all:D:laugh::roflmao:)

make it a fretless and you have a big :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

12. Fender6.

i already have him!

ICM, Sub-hoo-fer, Andre678 and 3 others like this.
  13. Oh and another thing.. i have a really hard time with fretless..my fingers are pretty short!

Alex Bass likes this.
  14. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi 99Z3!!

has nothing to do with short fingers!!!:p
    take some lessons!!!:bassist::bassist:
    I did that when I changed to 5 strings (I could not stand that surfboard) it helped a lot (just my2C's):)

and you still didn't' find out....???? so I would go for lessons!!!;)

greetings and may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

tbz likes this.
  15. Lessons.. ain't no lesson givers around here

16. basslicks

basslicks

Dec 14, 2015
    Kentucky
    You need a Fender Precision.

Oh and about all your rules - rules are made to be broken so here I am... POSTING! What'cha gonna do about it!? :D

17. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    How about a short scale semi-hollow? Maybe a Chowny, or an Eastwood, or a Rumblekat, or an Epi Viola or Hofner Contemporary? They offer a deep, rich tone that's pretty hard to beat for blues and roots music. Even the high notes on the G string sound like a bass, instead of veering into a guitar-like sound.

BassmanMetzger56 and Stumbo like this.
  18. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    how 'bout an Epiphone Jack Casady model? Easy to play and lots of tone options, and retail for $600 - $700 I think. A really solid bass good for a wide range of styles, including blues.

Epiphone-Jack-Casady-Gold-620x240.

TuneIn, scuzzy, redstrand and 6 others like this.
  19. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    PRS Kingfisher

RaggaDruida likes this.
  20. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    thats pretty wide.........if you dont mind being a Swiss Army bass tone guy, selecting pickups on a twin pickup bass mounted in mid and bridge positions will give you quite a variety (not to mention moving your plucking hand), theres several choices including Yamahas and the already mentioned Gibson EB (my first pick is a G&L L2000 ot ASAT but both of those may be too Fender-ish for you).....if you are a set-it-and-forget-it player, its a matter of trying them out and picking what you like