Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with Picking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Sonic, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

:confused: I've been playing with fingers since I started, so I'm clumsy with a pick, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get better.

2. besides the usual "practice", i'd like some help on holding the pick, and hand position while doing so. It feels very unnatural to not have something resting against the pickup for stability and be floating around (I have been playing for a couple of months now, fingerstyle..) and striking the strings with the pick feels odd. Is there any "wrong" angles of picking, should it be straight up/down the string, etc..?

thx

3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    when i us a pick i hold the g string with my pinky
    to keep my hand stedy or you can rest it on the brige (your palm). as far as the angle goes for the most part try to get a 90 to the strings :D

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    OK, I´ll try to explain what I do.

I was fortunate enough to start practicing both finger and pick style when I picked up the bass. What I do is this:

I hold the pick between my thumb and index finger.
    I keep my wrist loose and the pick is pretty much in 90° angle with the strings.

For a powerful rythmic attack I use purely downstrokes, the just seem more powerful to me.
    Then there is using both the up and downstroke for faster playing, I don´t find that technique as powerful but you just have to figure out which one is better for each song.

Watch the way guitarists move their wrists whilst playing and try to emulate that. There are some people who use their whole arm to play but that wastes to much energy in my opinion.

Well, that´s just about all I can come up with for now...