Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with pickup position...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hellrazor213, Feb 24, 2005.

1. I took apart my bass for the first time just to see what it looked like on the inside and to see how to put it back together again...before taking out the pickups I forgot to measure and write down how far up the top of the pickups were from the body...the pickups are 2 seperate soap bar pickups, one for the neck and one for the bridge.

Did I make a big mistake in not writing down the measurements or is it not that big of a deal? And how high up from the body should each be, lets say in millimeters...

thanks for your time guys

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Bridge Pickup higher than Neck one.

Do what you think sounds good...

3. You are o.k., just think of it as a chance to experiment with the tone of your bass. There is a difference in how high you can set your pickups depending on whether they are active or passive ( or really how strong the magnets in them are).

Generally you want them as close as you can get them to your strings without going so close that you hit them with the string when you play as aggressively as you would play.

Another thing you want to avoid is getting theme so close that (with strong/magnet pickups) you actually choke the tone or get weird harmonic "wolf tones".

Finally I would adjust the height of the pickups so that one is not louder than the other when you roll the balance knob all on front to back. They will probably sound louder with both on, but the main thing is you want to use the balance to chang the tonal structure, not the volume.

There is as much problem if not more with having the pickup too low, in that you can lose a lot of volume and tone which will lead to poor form and playing.

hope this helps :smug:

4. thanks guys...your info saved my, well, you know...I appreciate your help...

grandad, you said it depends on what kind of pickup it is (active or passive) to how high you set the pickup...well, mine are active, so does the same apply?