1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help with pickups for a 51 reissue

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blizz79, Nov 18, 2004.

1. blizz79

blizz79

Mar 18, 2004
    i was recently given a 72 fender bass. it is a 51 reissue. the original electronics do not work. i was looking to replace them, but did not know with what. the bass has been altered, so there is a place for a neck and bridge pickup.

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Is it routed for a P/J setup, or 2 jazz pickups, or something else?

What kind of a sound are you after?

A little more info will go a long way! :bassist:

3. blizz79

blizz79

Mar 18, 2004
    it is routed for a p j set up. as far as the sound i was looking for, just a all round clean sound. i guesss

4. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
  5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Depending on how much you want to spend, I would suggest a Nordstrand P/J set. Or, if those are more than you want to spend, the DiMarzio P/J set would be a good choice also.

Actually, with the Dimarzio's, you can wire those to push/pull volume pots. This will give you a series/parallel option on each one, greatly expanding your tonal options IMHO.

6. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Can I digress for a moment.Does anybody know of a good direct replacement pickup for the stock '51 pup.I know about the duncan quarter pounder, but are ther any other good replacements that have more output and maybe even a little quieter.Maybe a stacked humbucker. Thanks.