Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with pickups!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by korchm, Nov 7, 2003.

1. korchm

korchm

Jul 17, 2003
    toronto, canada
    hey there guys! i recently ordered a set of bart M46's for my bass. the M46's length is 4 inches. now the problem is, my bass's stock pickups measures around 4 inches and 4 milimeters. will this creat a problem regarding the tone and input to my pickups?

i decided on the M46(EMG 40) because it is the closest to the length of my stock pups. the M56(EMG 45) is already 4.5 inches in length.

thanks
    korch

2. i recently had my pus replaced with emgs on my 5-string - they where a few mm smaller than my stock pu's. the repair dude had to screw new holes in the bass to hold the new pu's. he used some foam to pack the space behind the pus so they don't wobble.

theres a about a 2 mm gap all the way around the pus now and at first i was a little freaked out but now i hardly notice it.

so no it shouldn't b a problem

3. korchm

korchm

Jul 17, 2003
    toronto, canada
    so maybe the best thing i should do is to center the pups giving them 2mm on each side(excess of 4mm).

i really hope this wouldnt screw up the sound though.

4. i cant see why the sound would be altered. wether the surrounding wood is touching the pu's or not shouldn't really matter since the sound is all generated by metal and magnetic fields.

the only thing u must make sure of is that the pu is stable. when i first had it done the repair guy didnt put enough foam behind the new pu's. which resulted in a poping sound when i occasionally used the pu for a thumb-anchor. the pu was pushed in and then popped back out when i took my thumb away.

5. korchm

korchm

Jul 17, 2003
    toronto, canada
    ok thanks a lot dude!