1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with Pink Floyd's Time?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Decoyx7, Dec 6, 2011.

1. I'm not sure how to ask this question exactly, but the band agreed to play Time. I've looked at the tabs back and forth, studied the song as best I could, but when I put my fingers on the strings...it all falls apart. I cannot play Time. It's not even technicaly difficult, it's not a hard song, but I don't know why I can't put anything together. Even the notes I play don't sound anywhere NEAR right. I've tried so many different tabs, and most are pretty much similar, but there is absolutley no use. Nothing I do makes it sound right.

Any tips anyone can give? I'm getting desperate and frustrated...if there is anything I can try, please post it!
    I'd be so extremley thankful.

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Many times tabs are some of the worst interpretations of how to play a song. IMHO.

Use your ears and play what you hear, not what someone else off the internet tells you is right.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Well, the only way (for me, at least) to know exactly what's happening would be to see/hear you playing the song. Or at least posting a transcription of what you are trying to play. Anyway, "Time" is a song that has two chord progressions. The first one, during Gilmour's verses, is F#m - A - E - F#m. The second one, during Wright's (sort of) chorus, is Dmaj7 - A - Dmaj7 - A - Dmaj7 - C#m - Bm - E. Hope that helps.

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    This and this. Also don't be afraid to make it your own.

5. bassbeard

bassbeard

Jul 18, 2007
    akron, ohio
    that song is full of space. if the rest of the band is not letting the song breathe ;) the way it is supposed to, that bouncy bass line will never sound right.

(notice how i blame the non-bass players without any evidence whatsoever, haha)