1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP WITH POTS AND CAP FOR DP126 P/J

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ebonalley, Jan 4, 2012.

1. ebonalley

ebonalley

May 17, 2010
    I’ve been reading threads on pots and caps for two days and I’m going crazy. I’m seeking your guidance on a pots and caps for my passive Squier PJ. It has a rosewood fingerboard and some type of composite body. It came with some weak Fender pups with 500 pots (volume, blend, tone). My goal was to enhance the output of the pups while maintaining a relatively flexible tone range with a main focus on rock music played with finger style.

I picked the Dimarzio DP126 PJ set and purchased three 250 pots with a .047 cap. My plan was to change the setup to VVT. After some more reading I learned that 500 pots seemed more common on PJ’s and further read that if you didn’t like the added highs, you can roll them off with the tone. So then I also ordered some 500K pots as well. I then read that DiMarzios can be “bright” “mid-rangy” “brilliant” etc… which didn’t sound like it need the added brightness of the 500 pots.

In summary, I understand that a lot of this is subjective however, can you please provide recommendations for caps and pots for my setup with the goal of general tonal flexibility for rock played by fingerstyle. I’m trying to prevent soldering twice.

2. ebonalley

ebonalley

May 17, 2010
    P.S. I'll be putting on some rotosounds which I believe are fairly bright for flats.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    just slap the pickups in with the 500ks that are already in there; if it sounds like you like, you're done. if it's too bright (which i doubt will be the case), and you don't like the way it sounds by turning down the tone knob, put the 250ks in there.

4. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I've never A/B'd 500k and 250k pots in the same bass, but generally 500k pots are supposed to be a little brighter.

I have used the Model P and Model J pickups before, and I would characterize them as darker sounding than average, so I'd try them with the 500k pots first and see if you like them. If you don't, it's not that big a deal to switch to the 250s.

5. Did you get my reply to your email?

6. ebonalley

ebonalley

May 17, 2010
    Just found it. Thanks for your help!