Help with powering a Cali76 TX at 18v?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DeadbeatLine, Jan 17, 2018.

1. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    Hi!

I've recently been lucky enough to acquire a Cali76 TX second hand which should be arriving in a week or so, safe to say I'm extremely excited to get to grips with this legendary compressor.

However, after doing some reading, I've come to learn that powering the pedal at less than 12V shuts off the iron transformer section of the compressor, which is exactly the reason I wanted the pedal; the iron transformers pleasing affect on tone.

I run my pedals from a T Rex Fuel Tank Classic, which is a fantastic PSU and i've never had a single problem with. It features 8 non-isolated 9V outputs, and two 12V isolated outputs.

Its reccomended to not run that Cali76 TX at 12V on the chance that the power fluctuates, which would lead to the pedal flicking back and forth between bypassing the transformer and running the signal through it. Therefore, I'd like to run it at 18V (additional headroom too!) but I'm unable to use a voltage doubler cable on my PSU because the 9v outputs aren't isolated.

I've seen the Xotic Voltage Doubler which supposedly can step up a 9v power source to an 18v one, however I'm not very knowledgable about electrics and draw currents (the Cali76 TX is recommended at 200ma draw I believe? But I think it can run at 65Ma, I hope I've got that right!), and I have no idea if it would be suitable for the Cali or could damage it. Could anyone please advise? Ideally I'd like to not have to run it off a separate power supply.

Thanks all! Its all a bit confusing for me!

willsellout likes this.
  2. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    Upon doing a little more digging around, T Rex says that you can't use a Voltage Doubler cable with the Fuel Tank Classic because the 9V outputs aren't isolated, however if say I did, what would happen? Would it just introduce noise into the system? Also, does the current stay the same when using a voltage doubler?

Sorry for all the nooby questions!

willsellout likes this.
  3. markmck79

markmck79

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    Since your PS does not have isolated outlets you should not use a passive voltage doubling cable that just combines the voltage of two outputs.

However, you should be able to use a cable with a built in charge pump, like the Xotic cable. Truetone/1Spot also makes some nice voltage doubling cables with an in-line charge pump.

willsellout and DeadbeatLine like this.
  4. willsellout

willsellout I apologize in advance. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    When I had my TX, I ran it with it's own power supply. That pedal is expensive enough to warrant it:)

Fuzzbass, DeadbeatLine and ddnidd1 like this.
  5. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    The truetone 1spot cable looks ideal as it also supplies 100ma but I can't seem to find one in the UK!

Maybe I'll have to just sucker up and get an adapter, if anyone knows of any 9v to 18v 100ma adapters in the UK please let me know!

willsellout likes this.
  6. markmck79

markmck79

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    It looks like The Gig Rig makes a 9 to 18v "Doubler", but it is pricey.

DeadbeatLine likes this.
  7. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Cheaping out on the PSU for a pedal of that pedigree is like putting unleaded regular in your Rolls Royce.

8. markmck79

markmck79

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    Not suggesting that the OP "cheap out". Just saying that Truetone, Xotic and Godlyke all make similar in-line charge pump cables for much less than Gig Rig charges. Unfortunately it appears that the OP has limited access to the other brands. There is nothing necessarily special about the Cali76-TX's power requirements - just 18v, center negative, 200ma minimum according to Origin.

willsellout likes this.
  9. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    A very fair point and extra marks for the Simpsons reference! Luckily by chance I forgot I also had a Fuel Tank jr lying around which ironically has five ISOLATED 9v outputs, as opposed to the bigger Fuel Tank Classic which doesnt have isolated outputs, meaning I can use a voltage doubler on the junior for a clean 18v at 120ma! PLUS now be able to power extra pedals on my board! Win-win

markmck79 likes this.
  10. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    Actually, the 200ma recommended requirement is to alleviate the 'popping' sound that can be heard at start up because of the way the circuit works, the actual minimum requirement is around 65ma if I recall.

Though saying that, it may be worth buying an 18v wall adapter that can supply atleast 200ma for that reason.

11. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Yeah, this. You'll be glad you did.

DeadbeatLine likes this.
  12. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    Already ordered one! Rather excited for the Cali to arrive now

13. redtomfunk

redtomfunk

Jun 14, 2019
    Alta, Norway
    my Cali76TX is ok at startup with output1 of Cioks Shizophrenik set at 18V (which provides 100mA)

Fuzzbass likes this.