Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with powering rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JJd2sc, Mar 7, 2006.

1. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I recently switched to a rack setup and dont really have manuals or someone at hand that is knowledgeable. If i have amp on bottom, then my tuner, do I plug in to the input of my tuner? What exactly should I hook up? I have a power conditioner on the way, so if you could also answer on what I will do when that arrives I would appreciate it. Sorry for the ignornant question...

2. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    It all depends on your amp's features. If your 400 is like my D180, you have an effects loop in the back of the amp I run effects out - tuner in.

This is nice and neat with no cords out front.

Some people will then run tuner out back to effects return. This completes the signal path and should be used if you are going to add an effect into the effects signal loop.

You can plug into the tuner out front and then plug tuner out to effects return but I believe in most amps, this bypasses the preamp tone control section. Plus it may add noise from tuner to your signal

3. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    On the back of the tuner it has : In, 2 outputs, and a mute socket.
    It also has an input on the front (fender rt1000). The mesa has: Balanced Out, Slave Out, FX Loop, maybe a tuner out? I dont remember. Hope this helps.

edit: by just messing around, is there any surefire way to damage my amp or rig?

4. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    I'd run the effects out to the tuner in and be done with it.