help with pre amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbassfreak, May 2, 2001.

1. pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    please help ..i have a peavy max preamp along with a g/k 800rb..the preamp has all the bells and goes through an ampeg 4x10..i pretty much cant tell any difference in tone ..if using eq on preamp should eq on the amp be all flat..or off..does anyone have a similar set up..and what the heck are all those shelving buttons was given to me and had no manual..any help would be greatly appreciated
  2. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
  3. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    If your GK head is the one I'm thinking of, you are basically running one preamp signal (the Peavey) into another preamp (the GK). I don't think this hurts anything, but it may be a source for unwanted noise, I don't know for sure, because I never tried it. I guess you might want to start with ALL controls set flat, and gradually tweak from the Peavey. The shelving controls have to do with the eq, and I'm no expert on the Peavey, but I did used to have a GK amp, and I left the shelving buttons "on" all the time. On mine, it boosted the highs and lows, and gave me a nice midrange "scoop" that sounded great. I'm not sure the Max adds anything more to your sound. If you are just running a 4x10, I would think the 800RB would be more than enough. I know Will Lee used to run that same head on Letterman for years before he signed with Hartke, and that amp was in a whole lot of rigs in the late 80's-early 90's.