help with pre-compressor-gain boost order

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by remo, Apr 5, 2005.

1. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Hi, I have three seperate pieces which make up my "preamp" before my Mackie 1400 poweramp...

1. MXR M-80 Bass DI: This has EQ and has a tone shaping effect on the signal

2. RNC Compressor: is a really nice compressor (litrally!)

3. Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster: This is a clean gain stage I use to boost the level of the signal up to a nice volume for the poweramp.

I am currently running them in the above order but would like some feedback if there is a better order to run them in??? :confused:
  2. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Common sense (don't mean this is the RIGHT thing) tells me they should be the following way:

No doubt the Bass DI goes first as it is prepared for instrument level signals. Now if the compressor only allows instrument level signals it should be put before the Pickup Booster. If it only allows line-level signal, the signal from the bass won't be hot enough for it do its compressing/limiting function, so you have to put the Pickup Booster first. If it allows both (via an input sensitivity switch), then try which way you like it better and that's it!

3. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    sounder good to me!!! - thanks