1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with Preamp Shootout Project

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by waltwpowell, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Trace Elliot Transit

60.0%
  2. GK Plex

20.0%
  3. Darkglass Vintage Deluxe

40.0%
  4. Radial Bass Bone

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. waltwpowell

waltwpowell Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Kansas City
    I need your input and optionsI'm gathering a collection of all the best/ most iconic solid-state preamp DIs. I intend to make an ultimate shootout video series and profile them all on my Kemper Stage. Below is a list of all the PREs I have so far, are there any that are totally missing or you'd like to see baked-off. In this first round I'm looking for clean/ mild drive solid-state tones. I'll, do tube DIs (Noble, Jule) in a separate series and I plan to do distortion effect DIs (Darkglass, Bass Butler) after that.

The Current List:
    Sansamp Amp BDDI
    Eden WTDI
    EBS Micro Bass ii
    Trickfish Trilobite
    Nordstrand Starlifter
    Mesa Subway DI
    Sadowski SBP-1
    Aguliar Tone Hammer
    MXR MX80
    Hartke Attack VXL
    MarkBass Little Mark II

nuage420b likes this.
  2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The Glockenklang BAC is quite amazing. Full rack width.
    Summit TD-100. No tone controls but the "drive" control can deliver tones from a passive bass equivalent to having five different Fenders at a session or live. Fits in a padded Tambourine bag. :)

Helge_Glock likes this.
  3. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    Quilter Interbass. Comes with a loud 45w backup amp built-in should you need it.

Quality warm tone with vintage switch for an excellent cab sim. Nice natural sounding break up too if required.

Not much bigger than a Boss pedal. Uses it's own 24v laptop style power supply.

I loved my DHA VT1 tube Di sound live but the Quilter is on another level.

nuage420b likes this.
  4. waltwpowell

waltwpowell Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Kansas City
    I had never even heard of the Quilter Interbass. It seems SUPER interesting for this project, Thanks!

Al Kraft, nuage420b and kasbrey like this.
  5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    From your list I've owned and used the Sansamp BDDI, Sadowsky SBP1, Aguilar Tone hammer, Markbass Little Mark II, and Nordstrand Starlifter.
    The only one of these I would ever use in a studio environment is the Starlifter. It's pretty much head and shoulders above all the other Preamp/DI's in every way. The only application I wouldn't use it for would be concert venue (festival) gigs where everyone shares the bass rig, and you only have a minute or two to get a sound. For that I've used a Sansamp Paradriver or BDDI. I plug either one into the power amp in or effects return, and use the master volume on the amp. For everything else the Starlifter is my favorite. I've used it a few times instead of the Noble in a studio. Engineer loved it. All the others are fine depending on the specific tone you're going for.

6. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Ampeg SCR-DI, please.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021