Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with pup diagram

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by WhiteFox, Oct 3, 2005.

1. WhiteFox

WhiteFox

Oct 2, 2005
    Could somebody please explain this diagram in detail to me so I know how to install it. It is for a music man passive setup. I'm installing a replacement pup into my OLP MM2. Thanks for your time! There should be an attachment on this post.

Attached Files:

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Yep, not the clearest diagram. Without making it confusing, this is the diagram as it actually looks in the diagram and viewing it as you would looking at the pots installed in the control bay with the lugs of each pot facing each other.

The pup is a 4 lead humbucker wired in parallel with the hot leads (coil starts) going to the left lug of the volume pot. Center lug goes to the tip (hot terminal) of a mono input jack. Right lug is grounded to the pot back. The negative leads (coil finishs) of the pup grounded to the volume pot back.

The tone pot I assume is a capped (capacitor - the black square) lead from the center lug of the tone pot to the left lug of the volume pot. The left lug (as it's laid out in the diagram with the volume and tone pot lugs facing each other) is grounded to the pot back. The right lug has no connection.

The ground terminal of the input jack goes to ground (pot back) as does the bridge ground. You may or may not need to ground the bridge to quiet hum.

Standard volume pots are 250 or 500K audio. 500k will be a little brighter but only a slightly noticable difference. The tone pot can be an audio or linear pot but you can't effectively use a linear pot for volume. Typical tone would also be 250 or 500K and standard bass capacitor is roughly a .050 mfd.

And that's why they draw diagrams and schematics instead of writing it out. And this is as simple as they come.

Anybody see any mistakes speak up cause I make them all the time.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, it could do with being a little bigger to help out, but otherwise just looks like a standard volume/tone diagram with the pickup hardwired in parallel.

4. WhiteFox

WhiteFox

Oct 2, 2005
    what exactly is a capped capacitor lead?

5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    [​IMG]

Does this help?

:D

Joe.

edit: Don't forget to fill out your profile. :)

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

that's just what I was calling a wire with a cap in the line. You can skip the wire and just solder the cap wires directly to each pot lug if the pots are close enough - which those should be.

Diagram looks the same only looks like there's a ground coming from the pup that attaches to the volume pot as well.

7. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Hey Luk,

it's the same diagram. I just did some labeling.

And re-labeling to include wire colors and the shield wire.

Joe.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I know it's the same. I just didn't notice the ground from the pup before. Some pups have them, some don't. But the labels looks correct.

9. WhiteFox

WhiteFox

Oct 2, 2005
    could someone explain why when i hook the tone pot up to the volume pot, i have no sound at all. it seems to cancel all the sound out.

10. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Is there any way for you to post a pic of what you have done?

It sounds like your pickup is grounding when you hook up the tone pot...maybe a bad tone pot.

Make sure you triple check your wiring first.

Hook up your tone pot like the one in this diagram.
    [​IMG]

The diagram is for a p-bass but the tone pot hookup should be the same. It does look to be a tad different from your diagram.

Take a deep breath, relax and then go for it.

Joe.

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

try wiring the tone like the P diagram and see what you get. I don't typically try and think may way through anything. It's dangerous. I just do something different till I get the desired result and that P diagram tone pot is wired different.