1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help with pups setting up of Ric 4001

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chalie, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Hi,
    I am new with 1979 Ric 4001 and wonder how should the pups be adjust to get the best Ric sound.

I noticed that the volume for E strings is much lower that any and there is no room to adjust the neck pup so the only way for me is to work on the bridge pup. Most of the pole piece of the 2 pups are rised from the base plates except the both 2 for the E strings.

My question is can we do anything with this low E volume thing.

How should the bridge pup be adjust to get Ric sound, lower or higher than the neck pup as most other basses.

Thank You.

2. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    I have two '74 2001's with toaster neck pickups. The newer hi-gain pickups have a similar case, so this should work.

Here's what I did to get the pickup closer to the strings. First remove the pickup, and you will see four small screws and nuts in the corners that hold the cover in place.

Carefully remove these screws, and then reinstall the pickup into the pickguard. The mounting screws will hold the pickup together. With the screws missing, the pickup is a little higher.

Another modification involves by passing the capacitor that rolls off the low end on the bridge pickup. You get a more classic Ric tone with it, but you get stronger lows and mids without it. It makes the bridge pickup more powerful than the neck.

The new basses have a switch for this, but don't alter the original pickguard! I did on mine, and now the basses are worth a lot of money stock.

You can use a push-pull pot in place of the treble tone control to switch the cap out. Alternately you can wire the treble tone control up to roll the lows back in the bridge pickup. But then you loose a tone control.

If you like the tone better, you can use a wire jumper to bypass the cap.