Help with purchasing a short scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrMeyer, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Member8675309

Member8675309 Inactive

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    In ways, I preferred the Rumblekat over my SG. Thought about buying it again, but I refuse to rebuy gear I've already sold. Makes me think twice before I sell things.

2. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Talman TMB 30. The pickups are shockingly good. So are the machine heads. Ready to mod platform.

Blind Lemon Sam, fermata and jd56hawk like this.
  3. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Dang... didn't realize the single pickup one is discontinued... I've been eyeballing them (although apparently not recently :jawdrop:)... I prefer single pickup basses- have three precisions- but got the PJ Mustang because I liked it... would be interested in 'replacing' it with a single pickup Mustang, etc...

4. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    IMG_2666 (1).jpg My current stable of shorties. They all sound different and I like them all. I don't notice any lack of tone in any of them, nor do they feel like inferior substitutes for larger instruments..

BassHappy and GoLeafsGo like this.
  5. The new ones don't have the T.V.Jones pickup. I bought the newer one some time back. (Don't have it any more).

There was nothing remarkable in the newer 2202's pickup. It was o.k,. I guess, but not any better than the Jag SS tone.

6. Mikro's are an acquired taste. I found that the tone is very good on mine with just the stock pickups. I didn't care for the stock bridge that came with it so I replaced mine.

I use La Bella Low Tension Short Scale flats on it currently and I like the stand-uppy tone they give.
    I've used D'addario rounds and black tapes on it too. As well as La Bella White Copper tapes. They all fit and sound pretty good.

But you have to get used to that small fingerboard. Actually the size makes it easy to play. I just wish they'd made it 1.62" inches at the nut instead of 1.5" though.

7. I have nothing against the Epi Viola per se. Except that it feels like playing a longscale because of the jutting body/neck design.

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Recently bought this after wanting one for years.
    Someone asked me why I didn't buy a Gibson.
    I said "Tell me what a Gibson can do that this can't."
    6tiydc.jpg

Member8675309 likes this.
  9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

On the bright side, you can always drop a TV Jones in after the fact. It's a pretty common mod among those in the know for that little bass.

10. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I'd get that new Mustang P/J.

11. You asked about the Ibby Micro and the Jag VM short scale. I play the Jag shortie. The neck feels good to me.
    They seem to be hit and miss on neck dive though.
    I tried an Ibanez micro at GC last week (unplugged), and in addition to the shorter scale, the body seems a lot smaller compared to my Jag. I know both get a lot of love here so you should give them both a try.

12. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Jag SS, but I'm biased (see sig).

13. John Le Guyader

John Le Guyader Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    I vote for a Dingwall Super J, P or PJ

Super J Series | Dingwall Guitars

Super P | Dingwall Guitars

String scale length on a 4 string runs 32" on the G to 34.5" on the E, fanned frets, easy to play with no previous experience with fanned frets. A Super J is what got me back to playing bass after a break of several years in the early 2000's, and I was looking for a short scale. On a budget? Buy a short scale SX...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    audreycashin likes this.
  14. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Carlsbad, NM
    I've been kinda GASing for one of the new Fender Mustang PJs since I saw the vlog where Janek Gwizdala got one.

15. 77stingray

77stingray Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Atlanta
    Skjold Artist
    +1 fender mustang, Lakland hollowbody

Also Scott Beckwith Short bass.

16. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Three year's experience with a Squier VI has me looking for a shorty too. That Squier is a short scale but of course it is not your typical bass guitar and I don't think it is the answer you are looking for. I play it and I like it, I like it enough to want to try a more conventional short scale bass too. People who buy them will often upgrade the bridge and the nut and perhaps the tailpiece too. I've done the first two and rewired it with a series mode on the four switches and a TBX tone control to give me back the strangle mode the series switch mod takes away. That is not an unusual amount of work to be done on that particular bass. It is not so much that it needs it, it is just that you know all that stuff is common among VI owners and lets you make the bass your own. Once you have done all that you still have a six string bass with a very tight string spacing and a "tremolo" (although some convert them to hardtails). A very different duck indeed but fun if you've the right spirit.

I've looked at a lot of the options listed above and they are all good. I'm looking at the Mikro 25 and the AGBV205 pretty hard because I would like a five string.

ScottTunes likes this.
  17. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    MusicMaster Vista Ad.jpg

Be patient and get a Squier Vista MusicMaster.

Killer 51 P Bass style pickup. Solid hardware and electronics.

0324170000.jpg 0315172132.jpg 0315172133.jpg 0315172138a.jpg
    0525170053a.jpg 0315172128a.jpg

GoLeafsGo and ScottTunes like this.
  18. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right!

Oct 25, 2013
    Ajax Ontario
    I like what you have done with the Jag....;)

salcott likes this.
  19. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    The EBO has some mods as well-tort PG, Novak Darkstar, Hipshot bridge and tuners; the only original part left is the body. I got a little carried away. It sounds and plays great, and is a viable replacement for my Darkstar-equipped Ibanez ASB140.

20. MrMeyer

MrMeyer

Jul 12, 2017
    So I´ve got a good amount of suggestions now, a big that you to everyone who has commented.

What I could use some feedback on is the whole harmonics thing. And that´s why the Jag is very tempting right now, because of the bridge pickup. I´ve seen it described as weak, but as long as it works alright out of the box, I´m alright with that. Can always replace it at a later time. The Fender Mustang seems to be above my budget at the moment.

I really feel like a total newbie right now, and I suppose I am in the bass world, but it´s strange for me as I´ve been a musician for about 13 years, drums since the beginning and these few years mostly modular synths, also been doing a lot of work as live sound technician.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021