Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with Quads

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Seraphim, Aug 31, 2004.

1. im new here, well.. this is my first post, but ive been reading the forums for a while. but anyway, on to my question. does anyone out there know how to do quads like the ones in wynonnas big brown beaver? it seemed like i was getting soemwhere by plucking the string quicky by hitting the string with my pinky then my ring finger then my middle then my index. but i seem to have hit a wall and cant get it to sound right. any pointers would be awsome. thanks.

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    to make it easy use a 2 finger technique...rlrl or lrlr whatever you prefer. By the way you live by my fishing hole! I goto the Trent and Rice Lake every year.. :bassist:

3. thanks that seems to be working better.. and thats quite a drive just for our lakes. altho, i cant argue with fish here. plus, the women here are always nice to look at while you are visiting. ;)

4. I'd do the quads the same way you are. You just need to practice slowly so you can get the timing just right.

5. I personally play that particular song; r,m,i,i, For the intro/ chorus, and r,m,i,m, for the quicker "pre-verse" line.

6. should i maybe hammer on the first note then follow with 3 plucks?

7. I don't think so. I'd work on finger speed before taking shortcuts.

8. b2d2

b2d2

Sep 1, 2004
    Seattle, Wa
    :bag: Having never heard this tune, what are "Quads"?

9. I'd never heard the term before either. I had to think for a while, and then I decided they were like triplets, but with four notes. I probably would have called them sixteenths myself, although I haven't heard the song either, so they could be faster.

10. b2d2

b2d2

Sep 1, 2004
    Seattle, Wa
    I betcha that's what it means. Thanx.

11. I thought this was a thread about exercising. :D

I use mainly one finger when I play: my middle, cause it sounds better and is more consisitent than alternating with two fingers (even more so with four fingers, which is impossible for me to do). It sounds fatter and less 'poppy.' I don't know if I ever did 'Quads' before on purpose though.

Maybe try working on using one finger really fast (if possible) to a get a more consistent tone. Just a thought. I could be way off.

Sean

P.S. Psst... The late great James Jamerson only used one finger when he played, and he played as fast if not faster than those using two. [In Dean Cain voice] Believe it... or not...