Help with Quality P bass, Jazz Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gapupten, May 16, 2005.

1. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I am looking for an inexpensive lightweight good quality (Fender or other) P bass with a Jazz Neck. I have had pretty good luck with MIM Fender Jazz basses recently, but I want a P bass, ideally PJ, with a neck that is 1 1/2" at the nut. It really doesn't have to be a Fender, but at least MIM quality or better. Ideally something I could find on Ebay for $350 to $600 used.
    An help in sorting through the possiblities will be really appreciated.
  2. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Try a P-Bass Special. Here's a link I found that put's one right in your price range.

It sound like it fits what you're looking for at the right price.

And by the way, if you're looking to spend a little more, I have a '76 P-bass with an "A" neck for sale now on the For Sale forum....I had to get my plug in.

3. Fender: Mark Hoppus sig bass
  4. Mark Hoppus sig is a P Pickup in a Jazz Body with a P Neck... not a J Neck as the guy wants.
  5. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    You want one of these.

80's MIJ Jazz Special. They go for $300-$400 on Ebay. 1.5" at the nut.
  6. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    That's quite an array.
    How do the necks hold up on these older basses? I have heard good things about the MIJ basses. You look like someone who as a fair amount of experience with these. What is important to look for in these? What starts to go first?

Thanks for the help.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Aerodyne Jazz would work too. Jazz neck, P/J pickups, MIJ. As of this year, the Deluxe P-bass Special is active, which takes it off the table for me.
  9. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Other than routine fret or neck dressing, they are pretty much bulletproof. You'll see some that have a black finish on the back of the neck - that wouldn't be too appealing to me. None of these do. They have anodized bridges - that wears off eventually, but doesn't really bother me in the slightest.