1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help with rattling bass speaker!?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peaveyman09, Mar 1, 2008.

1. peaveyman09

peaveyman09

Nov 14, 2007
    im looking to buy my uncles hartke 410xl, but theres an annoying buzz/rattle in the bottom left speaker. its not distortion, and i know its the speaker not the cab or anything...it doesnt sound blown, just has a buzz like somethings vibrating in it...? can someone tell me what i can do about this?

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Could be anything from a rattling grill to a rattling wire connecting the cones to whatever the heck they connect to, to a blown speaker. Best thing to do is pull it and see if it's something obviously mechanical. Hartkes aren't known for blowing easily, so it may just be something mechanical.

3. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    Could just be the nut(s) holding that speaker to the cab have worked loose. Like Rob says, open it up to see.

4. peaveyman09

peaveyman09

Nov 14, 2007
    thats the thing im confused on. i did take the speaker out and played with the speaker out. it doesnt sound like a distortion in the speaker, just a buzz in it. so...???

5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    It is very common for the dust caps to come loose on those drivers.

Most of us had to epoxy the cap back on.

If that doesn't fix it, you may need a new driver

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My bet is that its the dust cap that's causing the buzzing. Every Hartke aluminum driver I've owned had that happen.

Its a cheap and easy fix to reglue it back on properly, but it makes the EXACT sound you are describing.

7. peaveyman09

peaveyman09

Nov 14, 2007
    can someone Please describe this "dust cap" or post a picture? im not sure what it is, and what kind of glue etc would be needed to fix it? Thanks! oh so much!

8. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    It is the black dome shape in the centre of each speaker.
    It is made of thick paper and is glued to the aluminum cone.
    It has likely come unstuck around its' edges and needs regluing.
    I was told to use epoxy

Be very very careful with the aluminum, as it gets damaged very easily and those ribs in it get flattened easily

9. peaveyman09

peaveyman09

Nov 14, 2007
    would krazy glue work?! :D

10. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I don't think so, as the paper absorbs it.
    Go buy some epoxy...and follow the directions carefully

11. raytsmith

raytsmith

Nov 21, 2007
    Central Ky
    If it is the dust cap, you should be able to see where it has seperated from the cone.

Check for cracks in the cone and check where the foam or rubber surround is attached to the speaker frame and to the cone.

I've also read that some speakers have problems with the magnet assembly rattling against the speaker frame if they weren't pressed together correctly at the factory- the fix mentioned for it was to jam part of a razor blade between the magnet and the frame and put some silicon on it to hold it in place.