1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with reading

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by 6stringvince, Jul 21, 2012.

1. I'm in the process of trying to learn how to read, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the "flat" symbol at the beginning of a song means (right beside the bass clef symbol). Also, what is the symbol just to the right of that?
    Thanks in advance
    Vince

image-2908881760.

2. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The flat is telling you what key you are in. You have one flat, Bb. What is that, F? Holy cow, I need some remediation..

I think the other symbol refers to time -- common time maybe? Well, these were my best guesses based on a memory stretching back to the 1970-80s when I was in middle school and high school band.

3. Hi 6stringvince, thats the key signature Bb means you are in the key of F, all the B's will be flat unless changed by an accidental for a particular bar then will revert back if not changed in the same bar with a b sign. The C is time signature common time or 4/4 in this case, always check there is not a line through the C which donates cut commom thats 2/2 note values are halved.