Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help With Really Heavy Fenders!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EString, Nov 23, 2000.

1. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Does anyone know what the heftiest American made Fender 4-string bass produced currently is? I prefer a bass a heavier than the usual 9-9.5 lbs but I am not interested in getting one of the old 70's Fenders, which I know were heavy, instead I would like a new one. In case you need a list to select the heaviest bass from, I have provided one below with a few basses omitted that I am not interested in.

Fender American Vintage '62 Precision Bass (alder)
    Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass (ash)
    Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass(alder)
    Fender Hot Rodded Precision Bass (ash)
    Fender Hot Rodded Precision Bass (alder)
    Fender American Series Precision Bass (ash)
    Fender American Series Precision Bass (alder)

Fender American Vintage '75 Jazz Bass (ash)
    Fender American Vintage '62 Jazz Bass (alder)
    Fender American Series Jazz Bass (ash)
    Fender American Series Jazz Bass (alder)

Help me out, if anyone can.

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
  3. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Another thing you might consider is to buy a bass that you like playing and add weight to it. I recall having a nice Carvin fretless, but one thing that bothered me about it was that it was too light. The neck dove down too much and I had to either hold it up with my left hand or push down on the body with my right. There was also too much movement in reaction to my playing, which was annoying. Since then I've played on a Fender Jazz Bass, which is significantly heavier and more stable. You might be able to bolt on a heavy plate or something to the back of the body if that's the nature of your concern about weight.
    - Mike

4. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    That would be a possibility, but I would like to have a stock bass because, as silly as it sounds, I just like the stock look, and also because I would like the weight to be from the wood rather than concentrated in a certain bolted on part. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Maybe you can help me out with this though:

1. Alder is heavier than Swamp Ash right?

2. Jazz basses weigh more than P-basses right?

3. Is the '75 Jazz RI made of the lighter Swamp Ash or the much much heavier Northern Hard Ash?

Thanks!

5. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    Buy a Thumb 6 if you want weight

6. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    6 Strings aren't my thing, nor are Warwicks.

7. Many recent swamp ash G&L's are very heavy which might appeal to you. Try an SB-2 if you're really after a vintage passive Fender sound.

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, I've got a '75 reissue w/ maple fretboard, and I believe it is Swamp Ash. I haven't weighed the bass, but it is about the same weight as my '78 fretless PBass, and I think they fall on the lighter side. Granted, I am comparing them with a Curbow Int'l Petite 5-string, which has a 1 lb block of brass bolted to the bridge, so I am sure that colors my idea of heavy and light.

I agree about going for the stock look (I've currently got both the pickup and bridge covers on the '75 RI with TI Jazz flats), but, honestly, I am probably going to drop a Bad Ass II bridge on there, and put rounds back on it. I figure the more massive bridge will help beef up the sound. And, since the bass isn't too heavy right now, it should still be playable for long periods of time--which is something I try and avoid with the Curbow.

9. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Thanks Bassmonkeee! I guess that narrows the race down on the Jazz Bass side to the alders; the '62 RI and the American Jazz.

10. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've found that a current Fender with a ash body may be quite heavy. I have a 1999 AS Jazz with a fairly heavy ash body. Best bet is to go to a store that has a lot of basses in stock and pick out the one that feels and sounds best to you.

Chuck

11. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Hmmm. Just got back from my local music shop, and I don't think I'm going to get a Jazz Bass. Anyone have any opinions on the American Vintage 62' Precision Bass? Is it light or heavy? I played the 62' Jazz Bass and it was very light.