help with recording / monitoring bass on PC

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Ari, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Hi guys,

I have a SB Audigy Platinum EX (I know it's not the best card around) and I'm looking for a simple way to monitor my bass in stereo.

When I plug the bass in the auxiliary 2 input, the sound comes only from the left channel. It's particularly awkward when I monitor with headphones, I would prefer to hear the bass on both channels. I haven't found any way to put the auxilliary 2 input in mono mode. On the previous soundcard I had, there was a button in the mixer allowing to transform the channel into mono, so I could hear the bass coming from both speakers. I don't know how to do that with the Audigy.

Can anyone help?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I only had the SBLive back then, but it also didn't have that option.
    You could try to adjust the panorama setting of that channel so it's on both speakers, I can do that on my Midiman Audiophile for example.

You didn't fill out your profile, so I don't know what equipment you have, but you can also use a stompbox with stereo outputs, a stereo chorus pedal in bypass mode for example, to get a stereo signal to feed into your soundcard.
  3. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Thanks for your reply. I haven't seen any button to "change pan" on the drivers.

The only effect pedal I have with two outputs is the BOSS SYB-3 bass synth, but I don't see how that could work. Maybe by using a special cord that transforms the two mono plugs into one stereo plug?

4. A new plug/adapter will work for that workaround.

It sounds like you are monitoring via hardware. Sometimes you can monitor after the input hits the software, then you can pan it wherever you want it. Toy around a little and see what you can find.