Help!!! with recording with a Sony MZ-R37 MD Recorder!!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by safebuster, Mar 27, 2003.

1. safebuster

Sep 5, 2000
    NY, NY
    just wanted to know something about recording with a MD recorder .. i just bought the Sony MZ-R37, It came with a stereo electret microphone, it has auto gain control or manual level setup for recording... problem is no matter how i set it up to record my band it distorts like crazy, I've tried to set the levels low, high and auto none of them work correctly, can i just use a regular mic like a vocal mic using an adapter for the plug? or as I've read here should i buy the Sony ECM-717? Does anyone have this MD recorder? or any suggestions?
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    First off, make sure you are using MANUAL record level.

OK, now if you have the levels set so the meters show you are not peaking but you still get distorted sound it may be because you are literally overdriving the microphone (max SPL is greater than the mike can handle). If this is the case it should be quite audible through the headphones while listen!!!!

Many MD users who record loud rock shows use what they call "battery boxes", just a 9V supply for the mike (it currently gets about 1.5V supply from the recorder) and then plug into the LINE input. With the greater supply voltage, the mike can handle hotter levels; if the SPLs are high enough the mike can actually generate enough signal to drive the line input.

Yes, sounds weird but it's pretty common in the MD world to do this.

You can also try any dynamic mikes you may have since they are not constrained by a voltage supply.
  3. safebuster

Sep 5, 2000
    NY, NY
    I did try it with Manual setting ... I believe i am just saturating the MIC

uh.... whats an SPL?:rolleyes: is the supply literally just a 9v battery in a junction box? should i try it with my MIC?