Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with settinp up a fretless, (strange buzzing).

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by malabito, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Hello, recently I took my atk 300 to a luthier so he could defretted it and converted into a fretless, he also did a complet setup of the bass. When i recieved the bass it seems as he did a good job, but the action wasnt low enough as i liked it, so I decided to lower it and set it up myself. I been doing this to my other basses and never have such a problem, I was tought to do it by a bass teacher I use to have. After trying to lower the strings as much as I could and tighting the truss rod, I manage to get a real nice action, but now their is a strange buzzing sound that is produce when I fret the first note at the D string. I have tried everything to get rid of it, but nothing, it just moves the place where the fret buzz is produced a little bit up or a little bit down. Also, if i do get rid of it, instead of sounding the note is suppose to be, a D sharp, it sounds out of tune almost like an E, I mean, if I pulse down that spot with my finger, it sounds the same as if I have pulse the second fret on the D string.

I did not notice this before, so I dont know if it is becouse the luthier did a bad job or it is becouse of me not knowing hot to do the setup of the bass. I dont know what else to do to get rid of the buzz, should I call the luthier who did the defretting job and tell him there is something wrong. Or is their any other thing I could do to loose the buzz.

I am getting desperate, so any advice will be greatly apreciated. :help:

Thanks,....

2. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    You mention that you lowered the action (I assume you lowered the bridge) and tightened the truss rod. When you tighten the truss rod, you remove relief, or the curve in the neck. It also sounds like you have limited experience with a fretless neck. A fretless neck has to be absolutely flat to avoid buzzes if the relief is almost gone (that is, if the neck is dead flat) and the action is low. No defretted neck is absolutely flat, no matter how good the defretting job is. Go to http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html (there is even a Spanish version) for info on neck relief if you want a nice graphic primer on what this means. I think you need to back off on the truss rod just a tad. 1/8 turn and no more in a 24 hour period. Also, you need to set the relief first, then adjust the bridge after that, and do the intonation last. See http://www.mrgearhead.com/squierfaq/basssetup.html for more info as well.