1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with Seymour Duncan STC 3A (warwick)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by elpelotero, Aug 18, 2007.

1. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    About a month ago, I purchased a used Stc3A preamp for my Warwick SS2. I haven't installed anything yet, but just by looking it seems as if the previous owner messed things up a little.

Here is the wiring diagram: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/schematicspdf/3bandtc.pdf

It seems as if the previous guy replaced the "concentric bass/treble" into two separate pots, so I now have five pots: volume/slap pull, bass, treble, mids, pickup pan.

My bass only has four holes and I'm not going to drill another just to fit the extra pot.

So, question #1:
    How do I get a "concentric bass/treble" pot? Does anyone know if SD will send out a new pot for free, even if it is a used piece of equipment?

Question #2:
    My Warwick's original layout is:
    -stacked knob with volume, pan, and pull for passive mode
    -bass
    -mid
    -treble

If I want to keep the above layout, can I use the SD pots? Or do I have to use the MEC pots? Will the quality of one differ from the other in any way?

Question #3:
    Can I wire this for 18 volts?? How?

Some of these questions were addressed here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350949&highlight=stc but I just want to get some more feedback and include it all in one thread.
    thanks!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

1) Look up the typical electronics sites (stewmac.com, allparts.com, etc.) or do a TB search as there are some outfits that handle hard to find pots. Not long ago someone even posted a contact for MEC stuff. SD is not responsible and I wouldn't expect them to replace the pot but you've got nothing to lose with an email (ask them what they want for one shipped while you're at it).

2) Quality would probably be undetectable if any. Take an SD pot and see if it will fit the bass (don't forget to try the knob). Probably not but you've got what you need to find out and that's better amunition than what anyone can tell you on this forum.

3) If the SD site shows 9v you don't need 18v and unless they list it as an option I wouldn't recommend it. It's one thing to remove a battery from factory recs, another to add one. You wire 18 volts like any diagram from Aggie/whoever would show you. Get another clip and wire the hot of it to the existing clip negative and the negative to jack "nuetral."

3. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    bump for anyone who has installed one of these. thanks for the help luknfur, you cleared some things.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Forget to mention I would stick with the SD pots if at all possible. Typically you can swap out the volumes with no issues but that is an atypical 10k volume and p/p on top of it. Also, for whatever reason they don't mention the resistance on the blend (although it's probably on the pot somewhere). They select the pots they put in the pre for a reason so if you want the pre to work as designed, that's what I would go with cuase it may save you some grief if nothing else.

5. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called SD and spoke to a rep about my problem. Upon further observation, it seemed as if the previous owner had actually installed two volume pots and had completely removed the blend pot. So I asked for a blend pot and he said "sure no problem. Just give me your address."

Here I was expecting a blend pot to come in the mail and instead I get a blend pot AND A WHOLE NEW PRE-WIRED HARNESS WITH BLEND POT AND ALL!!! TALK ABOUT GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND THE CUSTOMER'S EXPECTATIONS!!!

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yep, you never know if you don't ask.