Help with shopping for psychobilly bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Amazingbass777, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Amazingbass777

Jun 1, 2004
    Hey 'yall... I just signed up on this forum today to ask a question. Any help or suggestions I could get would be greatly appreciated...

The other night I went to go see some psychobilly bands and I got to see a group called the HorrorPops. I really liked their style, and especially the sound of the bass. I've been playing electric bass for 7 years now, and I have very little experience playing an upright, but I have done it before when I was required to. I don't know anything about double basses, and I want to know what kind of double bass is good for playing those slap-style rockabilly basslines. I mean, I played the bass at my high school a few times, but the bass that Patricia from the HorrorPops was playing was much thinner. It didn't look nearly as bulky. Any help or suggestions that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated... BTW if you guys don't know the group that I'm talking about, click here and listen to the free MP3's they offer on the side, if that'll help you determine what it's gonna take for me to do that kind of stuff.

Thanks a lot!
  2. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Chances are she was playing some sort of electric upright bass. There are a few that look like regular uprights but have smaller bodies (as opposed to solid body or "stick" style electric uprights). Might have been an Eminence bass.
  4. tommygunadams

Jan 4, 2008
    Hey, I just saw the question about the Horrorpops Bass. Patricia is actually married to Kim Nekroman from the Nekromantix, who plays guitar for the Horrorpops as well. Kim makes his own Basses, the famous coffin bass. He made Patricia her own bass, but unfortunately he doesn't sell them. I talked to a few guys from a local psychobilly band, and they said they just got a stand up bass from a local music shop and painted it, and attached the hook ups and everything. Those are great links though up above.