1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with simple job!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by simpy1, Apr 10, 2006.

1. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Well one thing that I've never understood is the use of those stupid flimsy 9V battery connectors in high-end equipment. I replaced the battery in my Warwick FNA, and the connector is just falling apart. It needs replacing, so I'll replace it with a decent solid plastic one.

How do I do this? I could cut the wires, twist/solder on a new one to the wires and then tape them up, that's easiest. Or should I try and remove the old one right form the PCB board and replace it on there?

I'm a complete novice when it comes to soldering, so any tips, do's/dont's etc would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    You could go about it 2 ways...

The first would be to open up the electronics part and find where the red and black wires of the battery connector go to...

write it down and un-solder the 2 places where they are found...

Usually the red or white wires from the pickups meet the positive (red wire) for the battery and the black battery wire goes to ground or the input jack...

this if you do it, do it right...
    Or you could cut the red and black wires where they are and strip their ends so the shielding is gone and the actual wire is exposed. Usually take off about a 1/2" max

Strip the ends of the new battery connector... Make sure you have some play and actually have some wire to hold and work with... More is better than less. You can always wind the extra wire when done around the battery or whatnot.

Anyways, now that all the wires are exposed. You will need something called shink wrap... You also could get away with just black electrical tape. If you have the shrink wrap tube then put one on each of a wire and let it drop out of your way. When you finish soldering you are to move the shrink wrap over the solder joint you created and warm it up with a lighter under it. The shrink wrap melts and form fits perfectly around the solder joint for insulation and a sturdy joint.

To solder the wires, match the reds with reds and black with black. Wind the wires together, I would say have the wires pointing at each other and wind them around that way so the wires stay in a straight line. If you were to take the wires and put them so they are both up and wind them together that way then you would have a 90 degree thing sticking out.

Now that the wires are wound together by hand, it is time to solder... Get your soldering iron out, make sure it is hot and take your solder and smear the melted solder on the wound wires that you did. A good solder joint should look shiny and reflective, a bad solder joint looks dull and grimey. A little goes a long way but be generous. From there do the shrink wrap if you have it or take your black electrical tape and put it over the solder joints you made. Put a battery on and put things back together.

3. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Thanks!

I have no idea how to unsolder, so I'll do it the second (easier) way.