Help with slap tone vs. finger tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by phillm47, Feb 15, 2006.

1. My current band project has me switching from slap style to finger style about every other song. I've been using an Aphex Punch Factory gets me satisfactory results when swithcing between the two, but I'd like to do a better job with it. I would like to set my amp eq for optimum finger style tone, and have a pedal to embelish/shape my slap tone.

FYI, I play a passive jazz bass through a GK 1001RB-II head.
  2. HAs anyone setup one of the presets as a "slap" channel on the programable Sansamp?
  3. I don't have a SansAmp (although after lusting after Doug Wimbish's tone, I may snag a SansAmp BDI). I do something sort of similar with my Ampeg SVP-Pro. It's got a footswitchable EQ, so I'll dial-in a slap-happy tone and use a footswitch to trigger it. Works pretty well.

A lot of bass purists will probably snicker at this, but when I'm playing slap, I'll switch on a compressor (I dig the Punch Factory, but I'm looking at separately compressing highs and lows) and chorus. A good chorus thickens things up and makes slapping more musical to my ears. When playing fingerstyle, I switch the comp and chorus out of my signal path.

I've also been using my Bass PODxt live and I'm more and more impressed with it. The compressor and chorus models are surprisingly good. The Ampeg's been a great friend, but I'm looking at a Genz Benz GBE1200 for my next head. The effects routing looks sweet.

4. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    i sugest an EQ pedal, you can have a different curve for slaping, for exaple with a mid shift
  5. Anyone have suggestions on a GREAT EQ pedal? Maybe with true bypass? :help:
  6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Get a music man bass :) My fingerstyle tone is very warm and my slap tone very cutting.

If thats not an option (which it probably isnt) perhaps the EQ pedal is a good choice.