Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with slapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by sampsonite, Mar 24, 2001.

1. sampsonite

sampsonite

Aug 27, 2000
    i am not really skilled in slapping yet and i would like some pointers on good technique.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not to dismiss your question, but use the "Search" function at the top of the page and do a search for "slapping'' or "slap." There are lots of frustrated, would-be slappers at TalkBass who have asked this question, including recently.

A lot of guys who are good at slapping may not answer you because they feel they just covered off on the subject not long ago, especially in regard to the Alex Slarevski slap instructional video, "The Slap Bass Program."

3. its really hard to explain and i just picked up on my own. i would suggest an intructional video.

4. starlicks master sessions with flea is a good video. although it may be a little advanced it shows some exellent bass playing and gives the general idea.

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Is this the video with River Phoenix as a host? i didn't liked it. No argument here. Just think there are by far better videos on this.

Sampsonite, i've just post a reply to another thread on the same topic. You can go here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=14449

:)

6. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Hit the bottom strings with your thumb and the top with you index and middle.Hammerons are cool too.

7. Try slapping, for example, 3rd fret on the e string and poping with your index finger the 5th fret on the d string and move the shape up and down the neck.

8. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    If you know the arpeggios you can just jam.

9. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

i would have to show you i cant tell you but try slap happy from beaver felton .

10. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    If you're looking for a good video- try Louis Johnson's Session video- you can't miss.
    My only suggestion when starting out is to learn proper technique first- make sure you're hitting the strings with your thumb parallel to the strings- not at an angle ( relearning the right way is a bitch)
    Slade www.uglybassplayer.com

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Get Alexis Sklarevski's The Slap Bass Program.
    It's a really methodical slap video and will point you to a good technique. He teaches at B.I.T. and really knows his stuff.

12. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    hahaha that starlicks vid with River Phoenix is some funny sh*t ... is he smacked up in that?? he looks so high .. he doesn't even know what he's talking about and you can just see Flea struggling to make sense of what River is trying to get across hahaha god it's hilarious .. me and our drummer spent hours laughing insanely at the bit where he accidentally knocks like, a tape recorder off the table with a casual wave of his hand. must rewound that bit about 15 times :D