Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP WITH SOLO!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Wantsafoderabas, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Wantsafoderabas

Wantsafoderabas

Feb 11, 2004
    This is getting on my nerves because i can't figure out a solo for a riff. It's pretty siimple, but I can't get out of the same area.

G --------------------7--
    D ----------------5h7----
    A ------------5h7--------
    E - 5-5-5-5-5------------
    Then

G -------------------5--
    D ---------------3h5---- Simple!
    A -----------3h5-------- Very Simple!
    E 3-3-3-3-3-------------
    Then this,

G -------------------1h3-
    D ---------------1h3-----
    A -----------1h3---------
    E - 1-1-1-1-1------------

Im soloing In A at the 15 fret on the E string, basically playing the octave of the 5th fret. Any suggestions? where else can there be a solo that can sound good and not out of key? :help: Can u post an idea for the solo Please?! :)

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    the 15th fret of E is G not A :meh:

Either way those riffs seem very 'minor pentatonic', and in that respect, minor pentatonic scales would work fine as a starting point.

3. i am also working on solos and i agree with this idea about using the pentatonic scales,there are a ton of ideas you can get from there start off slow,up and down the scale and work out some of your own ideas from there,listen to donny hathaways live cd track 8 there is a prime example of how to use the pentatonic sclae for a solo,listen close and you will hear mommas little baby loves shortnin shortnin in that solo

4. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    check my posts in the thread titled "soloing" in this forum. Other than the advice I gave there, here's another suggestion...

a great deal of Eddie Van Halen's tapping and soloing was done in Aminor pentatonic. Listen to some of his solos and check out the tabs of them online , there's lots of sites with van halen guitar tabs. Then apply some of those tapping licks and phrases over the riffs you are playing.

5. Wantsafoderabas

Wantsafoderabas

Feb 11, 2004
    im sorry about the mistake about the 15th as an A, im just in such a hurry to get on working on the solo. Well, i took the minor pentatonics and it really weorks well, but theres still something missing. I dont know what it is, I want to get a bass feel for the solo, not guitar you know? thanks for the help.

6. Well...what kind of music is it? Your name mentions Fodera, so I'm assuming jazz of some sort?

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ha! :D

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hate to break it to you, but that tab tells us nothing. Is this an original or cover. Without knowing the timing/tempo, we don't know exactly how impossible this song is. :meh:

9. There's no rule that states you can only use Fodera for a certain type of music, Bruce. He never mentioned what kind of style of music it is.

My point exactly.

10. Wantsafoderabas

Wantsafoderabas

Feb 11, 2004
    its alrigth, YES ! i want a fodera bass, i play jazz (FOREVER) but it was a rock/ (kinda iron maiden) riff. I'm playing with one of my friends so he wanted me to play a solo over one of his riffs so i agreed. This is the only post ill be making of rock and metal probably. ive been soloing in a jazzy/victor wootenish style, so i dont know how to apply it to metal. :bassist:

11. Well if I were you, I'd do two things:

1) You said the song is reminiscent of Iron Maiden. Well, listen to some maiden songs. It sure as hell isn't hard to hear the bass in their songs, so listen and see what steve harris is doing. Might get some inspiration.

2) Listen to classical music. Whenever I listen to it, I always hear a little melody and think "Hmm, that would go nice in a solo". I've always done that, and on Metallica's Year and a Half video their lead guitarist, kirk hammet, said the EXACT same thing. I nearly **** a brick :D

12. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    Is the guitarist playing power chords or real chords?
    If you want to go beyond the minor pentatonic try playing around with the different modes. i.e. if the progression is iii-ii-I use the Phrygian, Dorian and Ionian (major scale) repsectivly. from the tab you showed us i cant really tell what the guitarist is playing. I love the sound of the phrigian mode (1,b2,b3,4,5,b6,b7) i use it a lot for fills and minor sounding solos.

13. Wantsafoderabas

Wantsafoderabas

Feb 11, 2004
    Thanks for the advice. Like I said this was just a quick project. I figured out the solo. Thanks for everyone that posted. :bassist:

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You couldn't make this stuff up!! :D

15. I said, "I'm assuming"

I can't remember the last time I saw a metalhead using a fodera bass (though its possible).

16. Wantsafoderabas

Wantsafoderabas

Feb 11, 2004
    HAHAHAHAHAHAH