Help with solo

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by K-townbasso, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Hello everyone, its been a while since i posted here, but it seems that I have a bit of a quandry.
    I have begun as of this fall taking classical upright lessons (finally)
    after a period of just bs'ing it, and got up the guts to do a hard solo this year for NYSSMA (the school music solo festival in new york state), in fact it is a level 6, the highest level of difficulty. I have an excellent teacher, and dont really need tips on playing it, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a recording of the solo, and where to procure such a recording. The solo is out of the Schirmer's library of musical classics book "Vivaldi, 6 sonatas for double bass and piano" and I am doing the 3rd Sonata. If no such recording exists, and you know this for sure, let me know then too so I don't waste further time on a fruitless endevor. Thanks alot guys, I have a recording for the solo that im doing on tuba and that helped me immensely so if i can find one of the bass solo that should also help me a bunch, or so i hope. thanks alot!
  2. Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Unless I'm mistaken, look for recordings of those done by 'cello. Those sonatas were originally written for the 'cello. But nonetheless, those are difficult recordings to find. Good luck!
  3. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    Ed Barker has a recordng of Vivaldi No. 3. he plays it an octave higher than written and uses some nifty ornamentation. it's a very good recording. The CD also has the Hindemith Sonata and the Schubert Arpeggione Sonata. You could probably find it on or something. I doubt many places will have it in their stores. You also don't need a bass recording to get some good ideas. any recording by a good cellist or bassist will prove to be very helpful.