help with some bassics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eVersi0n, Jan 13, 2003.

1. eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    Well, I'm going up to the shop which has a few of the basses i'm interested in, within the next week or so. My problem is, when i go there i want to try them out, but i'v never touched a bass in my life, and well, what do i play at the store, should i just mess around and try and find the tone that i'm looking for, or should i play something. I have played guitar the last 2-3 years (but then again theres a big differece between the 2), any suggestions on this situation.

(damn, i didn't notice where i posted, you may hafta move it)
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Besides finding a bass with the tone you are looking for, make sure you find one that is also comfortable for you. Since you have never touched a bass before, this is pretty important. Play a variety of them sitting down. Then grab a strap and play them standing up.

The most important thing to play is each fret on the entire fretboard. Make sure each note has a relatively equal amount of sustain. If a note seems to "cut out" quickly, there may be a dead spot on the board/neck. If this occurs, just try another of the same model.

Good luck in your search!
  3. Agree'd with the above. Also, if you see something you can't quite yet afford, spend another week or however long it will take, to get the extra cash!!

Happy Bassin' ;)
  4. ajovanov

Sep 5, 2000
    First try expensive basses
    Sadowsky etc ...
    Their string set-up should be perfect with great sound

after that check out cheap ones
    If the string set-up is bad they will hurt
    your fingertips, the rules are same as getting a right guitar.

you might be lucky you might find a very good one and affordable.

Don't worry about sales guys

Playing bass is opposite from playing guitar
    you don’t want other strings to ring freely you have to mute them.

Get Jaco Pastorius DVD Modern Electric Bass it has great tips on playing.
  5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Ah, yes that's a good idea - try some expensive ones that feel nice to play and sound amazing, and then try and find a cheap one that sounds a plays as much like that as possible. Or, take someone with you that plays bass.