Help with some bluesmen??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by charles21o7, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Can anybody tell me of some late 60s-early 70s bluesmen or blues rockers other than the big guns like clapton and the such. thanks a million.
  2. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers (the line-ups with Eric Clapton and later, Peter Green).

Some early Fleetwod Mac (w/ Peter Green).

Many of the early great bluesmen were still around in the late '60s-'70s. Muddy Waters put out a few interesting records around this time: 'Electric Mud' is very psychadelic, with Pete Cosey and Phil Upchurch on Hendrix-ish fuzz-wah guitars. 'Fathers and Sons' paired him up with the likes of Paul Butterfield and Mike Bloomfield.
  3. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Check out Howlin' Wolf - The London Sessions - with Clapton (1971)

Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters, Albert King, Buddy Guy were all active in the '60s and '70s, to name a few out of dozens and dozens of original bluesmen who came out of the shadows in the blues revival of the day...

...and I'm not including the "next generation" like Clapton, Peter Green, Gary Moore, Jeff Beck, etc...

4. I just downloaded some john mayall, and i like him. SO whats his best album???
  5. does "ten years after" count as a blues band?

oh, and definatly check out paul butterfield. He is really amazing!

6. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    His most famous album is 'Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton'. This was the album that really lauched Clapton and was responsible for the "Eric Clapton is God" graffiti that appeared around London.

The follow-up album, 'A Hard Road' is also very good. Peter Green had replaced Clapton by this point.
  7. Check Here you'll see there are several styles of blues. Pick a style and check out the players!

Robert Cray
    Little Walter
    T-Bone Walker
    Muddy Waters
    Howlin' Wolf
    Sonny Boy Williamson [II]
    Buddy Guy
    Little Walter
    R.L. Burnside
    Alexis Korner
    Otis Rush
    Big Walter Horton
    Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee
    Steve Cropper
    George Harmonica Smith
    Little Milton
    Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup
    John Primer
    Luther "Guitar Jr" Johnson
    Snooky Pryor
    Shuggie Otis
    Big Maceo Merriweather
    Darrell Nulisch
    Buster Brown
    Robert Pete Williams
    Kenny Wayne Shepherd
    Jonny Lang
    Keb' Mo'
    Popa Chubby
    Herman Brood
    Mike Morgan
    Michael Hill
    Darrell Nulisch
    Rusty Zinn
    Deborah Coleman
    Lee Rocker
    Dave Hole
    Dave Thompson
    Peggy Scott-Adams
    Ronnie Earl & the Broadcasters
    Tommy Castro
    Duke Tumatoe
    Chubby Carrier
    Rod Piazza & the Mighty Flyers

8. hey treena, i think johnny lang was just a twinkle in his mother's eye in the 60's and 70's... ;)

9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I've been awaitng to post this-
    Since Dave B mentioned Pete Cosey & DirtDog mentioned Howlin' Wolf...

There's an album out there called Electric Wolf..."a mish-mash of Blues & psychedelia intended to grab the ears of '60s flower children".
    Apparently, the Wolf was wasn't feelin' Cosey's vibe.
    Here's the anecdote from a Pete Cosey interview from Guitar Player(July '90)...

"Wolf was outraged when we were cutting...Muddy only showed a bit of doubt, but Wolf was furious. I had all my gadgets at the session, & he didn't want to hear that at all. I have some pictutes of that session, & he was scowling pretty bad at me in a few of those. Anyway, I had a long beard during those days-it was like down to my navel, & I'd sometimes braid it. So...during the session, Wolf says in that raspy voice of his-
    'Why don't you take them wah-wahs & all that other s*** & go throw them in the lake on your way to the barber shop'?
    I mean, he just wiped me out with one stroke, man. Covered all the territory-the long hair, the beard, the wah-wahs...the whole deal"!

Wish I could find that record.
    The Muddy Waters/Pete Cosey record sounds cool, too!
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I hadda go to the Amazon UK site to pick that stuff up.

I'll add Rory Gallagher to what's already listed.
    Mike Bloomfield's Electric Flag were pretty cool.
  11. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    There are DVDs available of the recent Blues documentary series curated by Martin Scorcese.

One is called 'Godfathers and Sons' - following Marshall Chess and Chuck D (of Public Enemy) as they organise a reunion of the musicians from 'Electric Mud' to record a new version of 'Mannish Boy' with a couple of rappers. Quite interesting.

Still on the subject of Cosey - a new interview in this month's 'Signal to Noise' magazine - I can't get hold of this magazine over here. :(
  12. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Jazz-Blues Fusion, live in '71 produced by John Mayall and engineered by the infamous Eddie Kramer.

John Mayall-vocals, harmonica, guitar, piano
    Blue Mitchell-trumpet
    Larry Taylor-bass
    Clifford Solomon-saxes
    Ron Selico-percussion
    Freddy Robinson-guitar

"Taken from performances recorded at Boston on November 18, 1971 and Hunter College, New York on December 3 and 4, 1971."
  13. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Check out the Jimi Hendrix compilation "Blues". It's excellent.

brad cook
  14. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
  15. TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    Get the new live Cd, 70th birthday bash, u can find it at wal-mart!

Take care
  16. EastSideBlues

Jul 11, 2004
    Albert King.

Can't say no more.