1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with sound suppression

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by smeyer707, Oct 26, 2018.

1. smeyer707

smeyer707

Oct 26, 2018
    Hey guys, newcomer here. I just recently moved into the 2nd floor of a new apartment complex with my upright in tow. I have it set up so I can practice inside but my main concern is the low end vibrations traveling through the endpin into the floor and causing a ruckus for my neighbor below. Is there some sort of low frequency noise suppression pad I could use to put the end pin ontop of so it wont be heard from below? Is this even a problem for most people here?

2. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Double basses tend to rumble buildings, either by direct connection like your endpin, or by sound waves. You can mute your bass, or try to pad the end pin, but a double bass just moves too much air to try to suppress it and it's still going to rumble especially on an upper floor of a wooden structure. A concrete structure will be better, but floors and especially walls will still rumble.

You might consider an EUB, with which you can use an earphone for practice.

IamGroot likes this.
  3. smeyer707

smeyer707

Oct 26, 2018
    What could I use for padding that would be efficient? I was considering picking up some low frequency noise suppression pads that are typically used in recording studios (see link below). Also, could you explain what an EUB is please? As far as earphone/headphones, I have a pair of Piso disc pickups hooked up that I plug into a practice amp that has headphone input jacks.

MP-4E - DiversiTech MP-4E - E.V.A. Anti-Vibration Pad, 4" x 4" x 7/8"

4. Drop in and say hi. Let them know you’re a Pro Musician. Ask them what times the noise will bother them, and which rooms to practise in at which times.
    eg. Avoid above bedroom after 9pm, avoid above TV room 7-9pm.

A few inches of foam padding with a piece of wood on top will decouple the end pin from the floor.

5. smeyer707

smeyer707

Oct 26, 2018
    Awesome! Thanks for the insight!

Groove Doctor likes this.
  6. smeyer707

smeyer707

Oct 26, 2018
    Also, have you had any experience or can you offer any further insights with these suppression pads?:

MP-4E - DiversiTech MP-4E - E.V.A. Anti-Vibration Pad, 4" x 4" x 7/8"

7. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    EUB=electric upright bass. Some of these are affectionately known as stick basses, which produce very little if any acoustic sound.

Padding material you may already have sitting around -- a stack of old magazines in a cardboard box (to keep them stacked).

8. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Practice at reasonable times, like between 10AM and 9PM, and if no one complains, you're good.