Help with speaker stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lancea_longini, Jan 21, 2006.

1. lancea_longini

Jan 21, 2006
    Hey everyone

dunno if this is the right forum to post this thread, but here goes:

I recently bought 2nd hand a Warwick Pro Tube IX and its 2 sister cabinets, the 4x10 and 1x15.

I stacked them up just nicely, 15, 10s then amp, and started playing loud.

I was unlucky, because I didn't notice this when I tried the amp when I bought it: the amp just lost signal, and when i replugged the jack into the input it came to life again, only to lose signal again.

I tried to figure out the problem, and ended up finding out that it's the vibration transmitted to the amp from standing on top of the speakers that caused the jack to slide off little by little and lose signal.

I'm going to change the input in the amp because i think the problem is there, but it got me thinking: what if all this vibration somehow damages my amp in the long run?

so I'm here asking if any of you have had the same question and what answer you came up with.

I know I could always get a keyboard stand and just put the amp there, but I was after something a little less stage space greedy.

I heard that putting some cone-shaped legs between the amp and the speaker would dampen the vibration transmitted to it, but do any of u have any more ideas other than this one? What could I use between the amp and the speaker cabinets that would dampen vibration significatively?

cheers =)
  2. Although I do beleive that this should be put in the amps forum, I heard something recent that sparked my interest.

I heard that putting a tube on top of your amps shakes the tubes and shortens their life. I have never had problems with my solid states...but soon to get a tube so I would love to hear the answer to this too. Thanks for beating me to it.