1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help With Stainless Steel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassboysam, Nov 12, 2010.

1. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I really love the sound and feel of DR Lo-riders but here is my complaint. I can't find a gauge that I like. the 105-45 has the E and A that I like but the 110-50 has the D and G that I like. So what I am really after is 105-50 set. The only ones that I have been able to find are D'addario. Gave them a try and they were OK, did not really like the feel, and they don't have the mid range presence that I really like about the DRs.

Any suggestions other than having to buy 2 sets of DRs and mix and match the sets?

Here are some other 105-50 sets. Can anyone compare these to the DR Lo Riders?

La Bella Electric Bass Hard Rockin' Steel Stainless Roundwound Medium Light, .050 - .105, M50ML

Ernie Ball Electric Bass Guitar - Stainless Steel Regular Slinky, .050 - .105

Dean Markley Electric Bass Blue Steel Roundwound Medium, .050 - .105

2. robfitz1968

robfitz1968

Dec 11, 2007
    Hard Rocking Steels. Ive done a lot of Steel string comparison and IMO they are the best strings available. My 2nd choice would be Ken Smiths Master Series, dont know if they have a set with the gauge your looking for but if they do check them out.

3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    HRS are good strings, that's what I switched to when I finally got tired of Lo Riders. When I got sick of them I went back to Blue Steels.

You can special order custom DR sets for the same price as a regular set. I did it at GC many times for my BEAD sets.

4. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Not exactly the gauge you're looking for, but Dean Markley make a SR2000 set in 47-107, right in the middle of what you want. I used this set for a long time, and loved it. Tension and sound was pretty balanced from string to string. I might have a brand new set somewhere, send me a PM if you're interested in it !

5. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario

that would be ideal, do you have to do that in store or can you order custom sets online?

not sure if any Canadian dealers will do it.

6. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    I did it in store. Any DR dealer should be able to do it, you just gotta get a sales rep willing to work with you.