1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with Stewmac aerosol clear coat

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner [DB]' started by Beetfarm615, May 6, 2017.

1. Beetfarm615

Beetfarm615

Feb 15, 2017
    I've completed my Stewmac aerosol burst colors and now am working on clear coat. Instructions say that I should do 4-10 coats of clear and recommends that I'll need 4 cans. I've applied 3 coats so far and still have quite a bit left in the first can. Should I be applying wetter or is there something else I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

2. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Do they recommend wet sanding between coats? When I was doing finishes, I did wet sanding from 400 grit to 1800 grit between coats. This levels out the finish and makes it look really dull. Then you put another coat over it, which makes it shiny again. You keep doing this until the finish is completely flat and dull and there are no "shinies" after you wet sand the whole body. That means there are no depressions to hide the finish from the sandpaper, making it totally flat.

But this also uses up a lot of finish, which is why you might have finish left over -- you are not wet sanding between coats.

Disclaimer -- I was using water based lacquer and nitrocellulose lacquer at the time, and I don't know the brand you are using, so consider that when taking my advice.

3. What type of bass are you working on? Your initial post suggests electric, in which case you are on the wrong forum.

4. vejesse

vejesse

Apr 8, 2006
    Madison, Wi
    Double Bass Workshop
    No need to scuff or sand lacquer between coats. Aerosol (rattle can) finishing doesn't produce as thick a layer as with a gun, so you'll have to use more coats if you want a finish thick enough to level and polish. And it tends to produce a bit more orange peel in the gloss form as well, that's why they say to really pile up the coats so you have some build to sand. Same with the Preval sprayer.

5. Beetfarm615

Beetfarm615

Feb 15, 2017
    Indeed. Thanks! forum hierarchy must have confused me.