1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help with strap button location. and balance.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jordan_frerichs, Sep 25, 2008.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    for my neck through hollowbody, i noticed the wings were nice and lighth but the neck that is mainly bloodwood, and heavy. i no the general rule of puting the strap button above the 12th fret, but i am afraid that with the heavy neck and light wings, it will have neck dive. i have not glued the neck and the wings yet, so i was wondering if at the 12th is considered good balance, then past/before the 12th will make it dive/raise. i think that putting it above a fret past the 12th will promot neck dive (because that seems to be what gibsons thunderbird problem is) so i am curious if putting the strap button before the 12th will do the opposite of neck dive.

2. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Place the "butt end" strap button off-center, more towards the bass side. That should help shift the balance of the instrument back toward the bridge-end of things...

3. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Using extremely light tuners will help prevent neck dive as well--Hipshot Ultralites are the lightest I've found (and they're really high quality).

Oh, some sheaty beef might arso herp you.

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Use a wide leather strap. That is the only true succesful way BC Rich players have benn able to get around neck dive :)