Help with strat knobs!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by josep, Jun 10, 2020.

1. josep

josep

Mar 2, 2020
    Hi, does anyone know where to get strat like knobs for a mexican jazz bass?

As i've seen regular ones for guitar don't fit on bass.

Thanks!

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
  3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  4. I don’t think it’s so much guitar or bass as it is the potentiometer shaft size. Normally with instrument pots you will have 1/4” or 6mm shaft. If a push on knob is made for a 6mm splined shaft it won’t push on a 1/4” shaft. You’ll probably need to figure out which you have. Also, if the pot shafts are smooth then standard Strat knobs won’t work. They are made for a splined shaft.

What did you order and why didn’t they fit? Too big or too small?

jamro217 likes this.
  5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    I know you can get witch hats for 1/4” solid shafts with a set screw to lock it in place, but they look more like LP knobs than strat. There are several other styles of skirted knobs made for 1/4” pot shafts But again, I’ve never seen any strat style made that way.
    if you decide to change your pots so you can use strat style knobs, be aware that split shafts with splines are available in both a coarse and fine spline config. It is generally accepted that one style is for import (metric) pots while the other spline style is for American (imperial) pots. If that’s not confusing enough many knob sellers do not list shaft diameter or spline count and there are a raft of imported pots with setscrews that will only fit a 6mm (metric standard) diameter pot shaft so be aware of what you are looking at and only buy if you are absolutely sure the knobs will work with your pots.
    All that said, i have some black witch hats made for 1/4” solid shafts and some other skirted knobs made for both coarse and fine splines. When you decide how you want to proceed, let me know and i‘m pretty sure i can fix you up with some knobs that will work for you.
    If you decide to swap out your pots for 6mm splined pots, i’ve got 3 brand new Bourns 500K pots With split splined shafts that need a good home.

6. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I have some odd Strat knobs that I have kept off of non-USA instruments as I upgraded instruments for friends over the years. What in particular are you looking for?

7. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Wow. Post 2 has strat knobs for 1/4 inch solid shaft pots. No one even looked at the link.

Beej likes this.
  8. josep

josep

Mar 2, 2020
  9. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

10. What @96tbird said is pretty much it. Get splined shaft pots to match those knobs or the ones you may have said you have. Get the knobs @sissy kathy linked to above or get the knobs you linked to, drill them out to the shaft size of the pots you have, super glue them on and hope you never have to change them.