Help with string ID

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by hapshaughnessy, Nov 23, 2004.

1. I got my Engle M1 bass about 7 years ago and I have yet to replace the strings. I like the sound of them but would like a lighter guage. The silk on the ball end is Red on all strings but the peg end is different for each string. E=Yellow, A=light blue, D=silver/grey, G=green. Any ideas?
  2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Sounds like Super Sensitive Red Label strings. They've used cables with less tension to suspend bridges! You might look into Thomastik Spirocores or Pirastro Jazzers as replacements.
  3. Tell me about it!!! I was told that the URB was difficult to play at first, so I just worked with them. I played every day for the first 5 years, but now I don't play as much and the tension is killing me. I like the volume I get from them, but if I could get the same volume with much less tension I would be very happy. I was thinking of Corellis, but if Spirocores would be softer I would go with them. I really don't do any arco, just pizz. I don't amplify either. I have thought about obligato's, but I am worried about their short life and possible lower volume. I like to have a good growl to my tone so I am probably going to stay with steel strings of some type. Thanks for your help.
  4. Sometimes you can get more volume from lower tension strings. Really. Obligatos are not low tension though.