1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with String ID

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by cole-emma, Dec 28, 2006.

1. cole-emma

cole-emma

Apr 12, 2004
    Hello Talk Bass friends,

I need a little help to ID some strings on a recently aquired old bass. I like the strings but don't know what they are.

They are metal wrapped strings, on the thin side, sound like a steel core.

colors . . .

STRING . . . TOP . . . . . BOTTOM
    "E" . . . . . .green . . . . . . .orange
    "A". . . black or dark blue . .green
    "D" . . . . . . red . . . . . . . .blue
    "G" . . . . . . brown . . . . . . red

Thanks
    Lou

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Those, my friend, are Pirastro Jazzers. Nice strings and currently what I am using. They are similar to Spirocores and between Mettiel and Weichs in gauge and tension.

I find them to be much less whiny than weichs and prefer the tension on them to mettiels (on my bass anyway).

Not arco strings, but actually aren't too bad with the bow. I'm not sure I'd use them if I was in a community orchestra, but for tuning, practicing and pulling it out occasionally on a jazz gig, they're perfectly bow friendly. They cut through the mix nicely and project very well. I especially love the E and A strings.

I've had mine on for only about 6 months, so I can't say how long they last, but so far, so good.

Enjoy!

Troy

3. cole-emma

cole-emma

Apr 12, 2004
    Pirastro Jazzers . . .

Thanks. I began to suspect that that is what they are. Your description of their feel and sound is similar to what I have found.

Anyone else using these strings??

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    We'll see. It seems to be not a very common string, but there are some quiet die-hard users. Everyone who has played mind has liked them. I had it at the shop recently and the guy in the shop had never seen them and started looking for a set to put on his bass. I think they're an under rated string.

They definitely take a back seat to Spirocores and if I had a different bass, I might give Mettiels a whirl. Weiches are not for me. Jazzers seem to just be a good fit, plus I'm very loyal to Pirastro for their quality and world class customer service.

I'd be intersted to see who else owns up to using these as well. There are some old threads on them if you search.

Troy