Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with string ID

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Kevinlee, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I need some help trying to ID a set of strings.

They are for a 1/2 size bass, both ends have a blueish gray colored thread, the ball ends look identical to spirocores with a big O on one side and a roman numeral on the other.

Are these possibly some kind of 1/2 size Tomastik string?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kevinlee

2. Klimbim

Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001
    They are probably Thomastik Superflexibles. They do make those for 1/2 size....

3. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I have a set of full size superflexibles and they are marked with an S instead of the O, so I don't think that's what they are.

Thank you for taking a shot at it though
    Kevinlee

4. Klimbim

Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001
    Is it possible that the S stands for "solo", and the O for "orchestral"? I'm not really sure about this, but I kind of recall reading it somewhere, possibly on this website. Maybe Thomguy can help you out....if they are T-I strings.

Best Regards,
    Jason

5. mflaherty

mflaherty Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    They sound just like my Thomastik Superflexible Bass Orch Tuning/All Strings Medium. There is also a Superflexible Solo tuning. There is a very useful chart at quinnviolins.com that lets you look up string make and model by thread color.

6. membluz

membluz

Sep 3, 2001
    Winnipeg Canada
  7. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Well, thanks for the help. Thomastik Superflexible Orchestra medium, so that's what they are..........

My confusion came from the fact that my 4/4 set of superflexibles have yellow thread on top and red on bottom. They also have the S instead of the O.
    And for some reason I was thinking superflexible only came in solo. I don't know why I thought that, just one of those things I made up in my head.

That chart at Quinn is Great! Thanks again to everyone for helping me.

Kevinlee

8. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The string you describe here is a solo-tuning Spirocore, not a Superflexible.

9. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Oh, Oh, more confusion...
    The package for the 4/4 set, the ones that are yellow on top and red at the bottom, says:

Spirocore
    Kunstler-Seilsaiten
    Superflexible
    for solostimmung
    in orchesterstimmung

I don't speak german (if that's what this is)
    but I think this implies that these are superflexibles and they are also solo ...Am I wrong?

I would like to be clear on this solo superflexible puzzel.

thanks
    Kevinlee

10. membluz

membluz

Sep 3, 2001
    Winnipeg Canada
  11. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Ok heres why I'm still confused. If this link works, you will see a pic of the package.

http://kpop.150m.com/SSF2.jpg

It looks different then the package shown at the string chart for spirocore solo in it has the word superflexible on it.

Maybe an old package? I don't know.
    This would be a good time for that Thomastik guy to step in and clear all this up.

Kevinlee

12. Klimbim

Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001
    that really is kind of weird....was thinking it might be an old package too....did you recently buy this?

They are definitely solo strings since E is the 2nd string.

13. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Yea, weird...I got this set with about 10 other sets from a guy, he had them all dated as to when he used them and these were dated 12/23/2000

So there not really very old....

kevinlee

14. alavakian

alavakian Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2002
    SF Bay area
    My Thomastik book identifies strings as follows:
    Spirocore O weich: red ball, purple peg end. Mittel: Red on both ends; stark: red ball, green peg. Solo: red ball, yellow peg. Spirocore S: red ball, yellow peg. .
    Superflexible O: Blue on both ends; solo: blue ball, yellow on peg. Dominant O: purple both ends; Dominant S: purple ball, yellow peg. S stands for solo, O orchestra. Weich, Mittel, Stark refer to string gauges, thin to heavy. hope this helps.