Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with strings please.....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FreedomGundam, Aug 27, 2005.

1. FreedomGundam

FreedomGundam

Aug 26, 2005
    Hello there name is Anthony. I got myself last month a gator flight case for my Fender Jazz (Mexican) bass. I will be flying from Hamiliton to Moncton. Question is for my bass, should I tune down the strings a bit or keep them in there normal format E,A,D,G. If I need to tune them down what should I tune them down to? Because I am afraid of the bass's neck snaping. If you peoples need to look at the flight case here it is.
    http://www.music123.com/Gator-GPE-Bass-Case-i11095.music

People told me to tune my strings down others told me not to. I am right now confused i even called up the company there like well its your choice but even we don't really know a bit. So I am asking you guys to please tell me what do you do with your basses that are in there flight cases. Please help me I would greatly appricate it..

Like my bass feelins pretty good in there like looks snug fits well, should I do anything to the neck? but the neck where it should be position to rest fits just perfectly.

I didn't know where to post this so I thought posting it here would help. Yes I even tried using the search engine. But didn't run into anything luck a bit. So please somebody help me.

Thankyou for your time. Sorry for not puting this in right area of forum.. its 1:23 am and I am not thinking that well that much now.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    For a flight that short I wouldn't worry about it. I don't believe in that stuff about taking strings off. I might loosen them a little but not entirely. Your neck needs some tension on it so it's not completely different at the end of the flight.

if the neck fits perfectly, just leave it.

3. I flew my Stingray from London to Sydney in a fairly snug case with no issues a couple of years back, though I did spot a baggage handler being less than delicate with it. It didn't really need a setup straight after that, but the climate here means it needs a six-monthly. Most recent was today (and hell, is it sweet now or what?)

before I flew it out, it'd been strung for probably six, maybe nine months with no attention, so I expected some issues, but just dropping the strings off and letting it rest for a day or so seemed enough. then again my action favours rough play, so it's always a bit high. I probably picked up a little bow, but wouldn't have noticed too much.

Anyway, to summarise: if it's a good case, don't worry too much. The biggest danger in flying your bass is the baggage handler, and slacking off your strings will make no difference to those bastards in the long run. more important is to make sure there's nothing loose in the case they can smash around - for an example, I shipped my mountain bike over about the same time as the bass, and they somehow managed to ding the hell out of the frame due to some loose bits in the box. pad it up well and maybe drop down a tone or two, and give it a good once-over when it lands, you'll be fine.