Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FReaK205, Jun 17, 2001.

1. FReaK205

FReaK205

Jun 17, 2001
    New Albin, Iowa
    I am looking to buy some new strings for my five string that I got a few months ago. It came with some steel strings, but I want to get some nickle strings for a warmer sound. After looking around adn reading some reviews, I have decided that I want to buy Ernie Ball strings, even though they are kinda pricey. But there are som many kinds and I was wondering if anybody on this board had any recommendations.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Ernie Balls pricey? I find them to be on the low end, price-wise. I also find them to be really nice, warm, long-lasting strings. I don't have a five string, though.

A quick check at juststrings shows Ernie 5 string sets for $24.00, D'Addario XL's for $22.55, Slowounds for $28.45, boomers for $23.36, La Bella Slappers for $28.88, and SIT Rock Brights for $23.63. So I guess they're about average, as far as price goes.

Still, I would probably choose the Ernies from the above list. If you're looking for something really cheap, there's always www.webstrings.com, and www.stringsdirect.com. Please note that I have no personal experience with either.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If Balls are too pricey, I suggest www.webstrings.com . Not a premier string but they perform at least as good, if not better, than some that cost quite a bit more. They make their own strings, (US made), and they deliver very quickly. Something like $11 + change for a 5 string set is what I paid. You have to get at least two sets, but having a spare set just in case makes good sense.

4. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    Try Carvin strings. Ther are relatively inexpensive, have a warm sound and last a ling time. I have been playing Bass since the early sixtys, so I have been through a few sets. I use Carvins, Elixers and Ernie Ball right now. I am a finger player, so if you play with a pick that also makes a difference.

5. one of the main reasons i use ernie balls is because they're relatively pretty cheap. what are you comparing them to, danelectros or something?