Help with strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FReaK205, Jun 17, 2001.

1. FReaK205

Jun 17, 2001
    New Albin, Iowa
    I am looking to buy some new strings for my five string that I got a few months ago. It came with some steel strings, but I want to get some nickle strings for a warmer sound. After looking around adn reading some reviews, I have decided that I want to buy Ernie Ball strings, even though they are kinda pricey. But there are som many kinds and I was wondering if anybody on this board had any recommendations.
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Ernie Balls pricey? I find them to be on the low end, price-wise. I also find them to be really nice, warm, long-lasting strings. I don't have a five string, though.

A quick check at juststrings shows Ernie 5 string sets for $24.00, D'Addario XL's for $22.55, Slowounds for $28.45, boomers for $23.36, La Bella Slappers for $28.88, and SIT Rock Brights for $23.63. So I guess they're about average, as far as price goes.

Still, I would probably choose the Ernies from the above list. If you're looking for something really cheap, there's always, and Please note that I have no personal experience with either.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If Balls are too pricey, I suggest . Not a premier string but they perform at least as good, if not better, than some that cost quite a bit more. They make their own strings, (US made), and they deliver very quickly. Something like $11 + change for a 5 string set is what I paid. You have to get at least two sets, but having a spare set just in case makes good sense.
  4. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    Try Carvin strings. Ther are relatively inexpensive, have a warm sound and last a ling time. I have been playing Bass since the early sixtys, so I have been through a few sets. I use Carvins, Elixers and Ernie Ball right now. I am a finger player, so if you play with a pick that also makes a difference.
  5. one of the main reasons i use ernie balls is because they're relatively pretty cheap. what are you comparing them to, danelectros or something?