Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with stripped pickguard screw holes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nasonm, Feb 10, 2005.

1. nasonm

nasonm

Jan 28, 2004
    Bangor, ME
    I'd like to customize my jazz bass with a red pearl pickguard but a few of the original screw holes are stripped. How can I fix it so they'll take a new screw?

2. Get some round toothpics, cut them to the depth of the hole then jam them in the hole with some wood glue. Then put the pickguard on.

3. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Cut a tooth pick off to match the depth of the hole and glue it into the hole. Once the glue sets, drill a VERY small hole in the refilled screw hole (very small hole so you don't remove the material you just glued in) and reinstall the pickguard.

Note: You might want to remove the point from the toothpick befor cutting it to length so that it fills the hole better.

KT...

4. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I thought EVERYBODY kept a box of round tooth picks with their repair gear!

5. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Or you can just fill the hole with 5 minute drying epoxy and drill a small hole in it a few hours later. The toothpick trick works, but it can tilt the screwhead a bit, so if you are fickle, the straight epoxy gives you a clearer shot at a straight in screw later.