Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with switch needed

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by beefhaus2000, Apr 5, 2003.

1. beefhaus2000

beefhaus2000

Sep 25, 2002
    New Jersey
    I have a Bartolini MME triple coil MM replacment pickup that I am installing in a modified J-body. The instructions provided with the pup show a variety of switching options. I would like to wire it up to a switch that allows for single coil,series,paralle. There are diagrams for this wiring, but it doesn't say what type of switch it is. It has a lug pattern like this:

- - - -
    - - - -
    - - - -

Anyone know what type of switch this is?
    And where I can buy one?

2. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    looks like 12 lug on-on-on

best bet is allparts, stewmac, etc.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Yep, a 4PDT switch, on-on-on. Bartolini and Allparts both sell such a switch. I do not believe Stew-Mac does.

4. Speaking of which, Matt, I'm gonna go ahead and rewire 1046-01 with a 4PDT since JP Basses was able to score me one of those cool Warwick concentric pots with the balance on the bottom and a push-pull volume on top.

I'm not sure whether to have a 2-way or 3-way miniswitch, though. With a 2-way, I'd just have it set up as:

Up: each pickup internally in parallel
    Down: each pickup interally in series

With the 3-way, I'd have:
    Up: each pickup internally in parallel
    Middle: outer coil of each pickup (for a more J-like sound and hum-cancelling with balance at center)
    Down: each pickup internally in series

5. beefhaus2000

beefhaus2000

Sep 25, 2002
    New Jersey
    Thanks guys...found it over at allparts

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The single coil settings sound kind of wimpy to my ear when you've just been listening to dual-coil. I guess it can't hurt to have one more option, though, can it?

7. You never know, Matt. For recording purposes, it might prove especially useful.