Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with symbols in bass tab

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Lord Henry, Mar 19, 2006.

1. I'm sure this must have come up before, so sorry about that, but I can't find a thread about it.

I know the basics of reading tab: lines=strings, numbers=frets. I've figured out that 'h' is a hammer on. What are the other symbols? I've seen '/' '\' 'x' '^' and one or two others. If anyone has the time then please explain. That, or directions to a free site that would explain would be just as good.

Cheers all, where would I be without TB?

2. britrit

britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    London
    / and \ are slides, x im not too sure about, but it might be a muted note, and i'm guessing ^ is bend. Hope that helps

3. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    \ / tends to mean a slide e.g. 5/9 (al slide fron the 5 down to the 9th fret)

x tends to mean a "dead" or muted note played

^ tends to mean bend

I am pretty sure they have a "tab explained" section on www.mxtabs.net

4. Thanks for that, it does help.

I've also seen several '/' in a row (see the chilli's give it away). Would I be right in thinking that this would be a slide over several beats?

Cheers again.

5. Sorry, more of a technique question: Is a dead note a note plicked with the right hand with the left hand resting, rather than pressing, on the string?

6. britrit

britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    London
    for the multiple /, I have no clue what they mean, and you are right about a dead note.

7. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Right, just touch the string (but dont fret) and play it with your right hand it should make a thud/dead sound.

http://www.mxtabs.net/content.php?file=Reading_Guitar_and_Bass_Tabs
    That link explains everything in tab. Worth a read, and I hope it helps. :bassist: