Help with symbols in bass tab

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Lord Henry, Mar 19, 2006.

1. I'm sure this must have come up before, so sorry about that, but I can't find a thread about it.

I know the basics of reading tab: lines=strings, numbers=frets. I've figured out that 'h' is a hammer on. What are the other symbols? I've seen '/' '\' 'x' '^' and one or two others. If anyone has the time then please explain. That, or directions to a free site that would explain would be just as good.

Cheers all, where would I be without TB?
  2. britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    / and \ are slides, x im not too sure about, but it might be a muted note, and i'm guessing ^ is bend. Hope that helps
  3. ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    \ / tends to mean a slide e.g. 5/9 (al slide fron the 5 down to the 9th fret)

x tends to mean a "dead" or muted note played

^ tends to mean bend

I am pretty sure they have a "tab explained" section on
  4. Thanks for that, it does help.

I've also seen several '/' in a row (see the chilli's give it away). Would I be right in thinking that this would be a slide over several beats?

Cheers again.
  5. Sorry, more of a technique question: Is a dead note a note plicked with the right hand with the left hand resting, rather than pressing, on the string?
  6. britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    for the multiple /, I have no clue what they mean, and you are right about a dead note.
  7. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Right, just touch the string (but dont fret) and play it with your right hand it should make a thud/dead sound.
    That link explains everything in tab. Worth a read, and I hope it helps. :bassist: