1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help with tapered neck laminates

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jordan_frerichs, Oct 5, 2008.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    so i was making the neck through ppart of the bass, and realized that at the nut, it would be all bloodwood, and as the neck tapered, walnut would pop up. it is no to late to cut off the walnut, and attemp a laminate taper, so it looks more in place. i just need to know how. any tutorials/tips, ect. out there? the bloodwood center, when viewed from the front, is a 2 piece bookmatch, and i would like to keep the centerline of the bm centered.

2. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Hi jordan,

You'll need to cut the taper into your neck's core piece before you glue on the outer pieces. Then when you have a tapered core, any pieces you glue onto the neck will follow that taper. It also helps a lot to continue the taper cut on to the headstock too, then glue the "ears" onto the headstock after you've glued together all of your neck pieces. That way you won't have to work around the headstock with your jointer and plane as you prep the core for gluing.

Since you're making a neck-thru, it may be difficult to make the laminates of the core of the body straight-sided while making the neck laminates taper. You'll probably have to play around with some new ideas to do that...Maybe some other builders here have done that before and could help.

Let me know if you need clarifications on anything I've said here.

3. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    Ive never done it, but the easiest way I could think of is to simply strap the piece onto a sled with shims on one end. You could also avoid the problem by having all the 'inner lams' 1 cm shorter in width than the final nut width, 5 mm on each side is enough.

4. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    thanx. how would i do scarf, if thats what i wanted?

5. Ive been thinking about this too, Im planning on scarfing first, then cutting the taper, then adding the edge lams, then adding the ears.

The edge lams would be done Watson style, without the scarf joint. shouldnt effect the strength of the joint that way.

6. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Yep, that's the sequence I use.

Jordan, when you say "how would i do scarf, if thats what i wanted?" I'm assuming you mean how would you scarf the side laminates.

I don't know of anyone who does scarf the side laminates, they just cut the lam's extra wide so that the neck and headstock get covered by them. In fact, by not scarfing the sides, you're actually increasing the strength of the scarf joint of the core.

Of course, I'm sure that you could scarf the sides...