1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with the Barge Concepts DB-3 signal path

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by monsterthompson, Apr 1, 2009.

1. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I tried searching but, "DB-3" doesn't work well with the engine here.

I'm currently considering the Barge Concepts DB-3 for my pedal board http://www.bargeconcepts.com/db1.html

I've been looking for a way to have a dry signal and an isolated "wet" loop that I could take out of the path with a single stomp, and then tap dance my way to another pedal combo I want to have, then hit a button and bring it all back. This is the beast that may solve my issues. The way I understand it is it takes an input, and then creates an output like a send on an effects loop with a gain and master volume control. There is another in, which starts the 2nd channel, which also has a gain and a volume control connected to a send:
    Bass Input > gain/volume 1 > send > receive > gain/volume 2 > send

The way I’d run it is
    Bass > gain/volume (set at level) > oct/fuzz/wah/delay/chorus/flange > gain/volume 2 (slight boost) > amp

With that set up, I could bypass 1 & 2 (leave them off) and go direct to the amp with my raw bass sound; that would cover the majority of my playing, leaving me in the background. I could then activate the fist channel and have my pedals in the loop set to the combo I want and they would all come online at the same time with no volume change to give me some effects but still stay in the background and not overpower the guitar. I could then activate channel 2 in combo with channel 1 to add a clean boost to the signal for parts to stand out. I could also bypass channel 1 and only have the boost in channel 2 activated which would give me clean boost for louder passages that don’t need effects (we have some drum and bass intro’s for songs that I’d like a bit of a kick up for).

My only concern that I have right now is figuring out the right signal chain to set it up so I could play through a loop with the delay/echo on, play the final note of the echo-effected passage and then switch over to the clean signal to start the next phrase, but have the echo tail off in the background without a complete cut off. I think to do that I’d need an A/B box to split my signal to a dry and a wet path, then have the output from the wet path join back to the signal of the dry path with a y-join cable.

Does it sound like I'm on the right track with this box from Barge, or have I not correctly estimated how it works? Help and insight appreciated.